Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nohup and background jobs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nohup and background jobs Post 302699093 by pamu on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 06:09:12 AM
Old 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uinx_addic
My Query is still not answered.

If i only use & and my terminal gets hunged. will by job will continue or will be killed.

Ex : sh my_script.sh &
I think it should be killed...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs

Hi, i have a problem with turning a job into backgrund. When i enter this at the shell: spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw > screenout.tmp & and then let me show the currently running jobs, i get the following output: + Suspended (tty output) spice -b darlington.cir -r output.raw >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qsi
4 Replies

2. Programming

Background jobs

Hi there, I'm quite new to UNIX for programming. I have a script that does this: Shows on screen real-time results taken from phone calls and logs them in a file. However, when I start my script, I want my script to start logging in the file in the background, so I can continue working on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jeremiorama
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Notification from Background jobs

Reposting, as it got lost during the database backup. :( Via a shell script a spawn 3 background jobs namely a, b & c. These will take different times to complete. I want to print a different message on completion of each. How can i find out when each one has completed independently. ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
19 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background jobs

If I run a job in the background and logoff. Will the job continue to run or will my processes be killed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris terminal sessions terminated and also nohup jobs

Admins, We have a strange problem on our solaris zones. We have four zones on a Global server (Sun-Fire-V890; Solaris 10 Update 6) and the SSH sessions to all four zones are terminated at a specific time (11:10 PM) every night. The SSH session to the global server is not terminated. Also, any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogijp
1 Replies

8. Programming

Background (nohup * &) SSH command block possible?

Hello, I am trying to find a way to send several sequential commands via SSH to a remote box in a single command. Thoughts so far: 1) Can I put them into a function and call the function within the ssh command? e.g. ssh <targetserver> $(functionx) No - then it calls the function in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop nohup which is working background

Please I have run a background script using nohup please tell me way to stop this. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)