Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris SPARC speed issue
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris SPARC speed issue Post 302698959 by jim mcnamara on Monday 10th of September 2012 10:07:08 PM
Old 09-10-2012
Just to inject another point of vie. hergp and jllaigre are correct about threading.

To answer your 32/64bit question: time it yourself on the same dataset with two different compiles. We have done that on a different solaris architecture and found only a small amount of improvement.

If your number cruncher uses big arrays it is possible that you are wasting cpu. If your code constantly forces the cpu to bring in pages of data and to do a lot of searching in the cached pages, you are possibly wasting cpu.

Consider running your code and at the same time run trapstat. Thanks to this we got data to support using larger pagesize effectively. This DOES NOT nesessarily involve coding. A minor change to the way you invoke your code is needed. See the ppgsz man page for a very simple way to do this. Do this if and only if you have an MMU issue issue revealed by trapstat. And I do not know much about your architecture, this may not be as beneficial as it was on our M4000.

Have a read:
Multiple Page Size Support - Siwiki

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with installing solaris 10 OS on sparc 5

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s Evaluating: boot cdrom -s Can't open boot device If any one knows please advise. I have changed the CDrom but it did not help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ark
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Solaris Sparc Apps on X86 Solaris

I know that Sun make s a version of Solaris for Sparc platforms and also an x86 (Intel/AMD) release of Solaris. Can an application that runs on Solaris/Sparc also run on a PC running the x86 release of Solaris? Would a different release be required or any re-compling of the application? jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stocksj
1 Replies

3. Solaris

CC 5.5 compiler flag to issue 64bit porting warnings on sparc-solaris

Hi, We are porting our application from 32bit to 64bit. We tried -xarch=v9, -xarc=v9a and -xport64=full options so that compiler to issue 64bit porting warnings. But we are not getting any porting warninings WE are using CC 5.5 compiler on sparc-solaris m/c. Please tell us some powerful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shobhah
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Issue while installing: Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23)

Hello, As explained, I've encountered an issue while installing Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23). Actually, patch no 120011-14 stops with the following error: ERROR: attribute verification of </var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd> failed file type <f>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.mauger
6 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios on Solaris 10 Sparc issue

I've got it installed but when I logging to the interface to http://localhost/nagios I get the following: Forbidden You don't have permission to access /nagios/ on this server. Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at localhost Port 80 im running Solaris Version: SunOS dotstoas442 5.10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchykd
0 Replies

6. Solaris

hba speed Solaris 9

Hello, In Solaris 10 I can use fcinfo to find what speed the hba ports are running at, am I able to find this out using Solaris 9? I have tried a few variations on luxadm but cant find anything relevant. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC?

Hi Gurus can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? regards, Israel. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to read this Solaris version:-Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC?

Hi Guys, Could you please tell me how to read this Solaris version:- Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
3 Replies
GETCPU(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETCPU(2)

NAME
getcpu - determine CPU and NUMA node on which the calling thread is running SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/getcpu.h> int getcpu(unsigned *cpu, unsigned *node, struct getcpu_cache *tcache); DESCRIPTION
The getcpu() system call identifies the processor and node on which the calling thread or process is currently running and writes them into the integers pointed to by the cpu and node arguments. The processor is a unique small integer identifying a CPU. The node is a unique small identifier identifying a NUMA node. When either cpu or node is NULL nothing is written to the respective pointer. The third argument to this system call is nowadays unused. The information placed in cpu is only guaranteed to be current at the time of the call: unless the CPU affinity has been fixed using sched_setaffinity(2), the kernel might change the CPU at any time. (Normally this does not happen because the scheduler tries to minimize movements between CPUs to keep caches hot, but it is possible.) The caller must be prepared to handle the situation when cpu and node are no longer the current CPU and node. VERSIONS
getcpu() was added in kernel 2.6.19 for x86_64 and i386. CONFORMING TO
getcpu() is Linux specific. NOTES
Linux makes a best effort to make this call as fast possible. The intention of getcpu() is to allow programs to make optimizations with per-CPU data or for NUMA optimization. Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2); or use sched_getcpu(3) instead. The tcache argument is unused since Linux 2.6.24. In earlier kernels, if this argument was non-NULL, then it specified a pointer to a caller-allocated buffer in thread-local storage that was used to provide a caching mechanism for getcpu(). Use of the cache could speed getcpu() calls, at the cost that there was a very small chance that the returned information would be out of date. The caching mechanism was considered to cause problems when migrating threads between CPUs, and so the argument is now ignored. SEE ALSO
mbind(2), sched_setaffinity(2), set_mempolicy(2), sched_getcpu(3), cpuset(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-06-03 GETCPU(2)