Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [SOLVED] Restoring differential backup files Post 302698901 by Corona688 on Monday 10th of September 2012 04:52:10 PM
Old 09-10-2012
Generally it'd be patch originalfile diff-file

But depending on how you made the diff's there may be other options involved. Backup before trying of course.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

OS X Server: Trouble restoring mail from backup...

So I had some bad RAM in my server. Of course I didn't know it at the time. And it kept making the 10.3.5 updater crash. And that last crash did it. My drive was messed up. So I had to reformat and reinstall. Luckily I had a whole slew of fresh backups. But I'm really hung up on the mail. I backed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
5 Replies

4. AIX

Question about restoring from mksysb backup

Hello, Last night I applied a DB2 fix pack which is now causing problems with the application that uses db2. Prior to applying the fix pack I did a mksysb(rootvg) which includes the file system that has db2 installed on it. If I do a restore from this will it restore the db2 version back to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoung
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a full system backup excluding data and restoring it to a new system

Hi, In order to have a sand box machine that I could use to test some system changes before going to production state, I'd like to duplicate a working system to a virtual one. Ideally, I'd like to manage to do it this way : - Make a full system backup excluding the user file system (this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagaille
7 Replies

7. AIX

restoring mksysb backup of a clustered server configured in HACMP

Hi, I have done NIM restoration via nim_bosinst a lot of times but I have some doubts on restoring a server which is clustered specifically HACMP. Previously, I don't know the trend but after doing a nim_bosinst, I can see the client's hostname is back to "localhost" rather than its original... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring files from backup based on ctime

Hello, I need to restore some yesterday emails from backup within a 5 hours timeframe this is a openvz container, backup is made by rsync files to another partition in the same server I have tried to do this #!/bin/sh cd /vz/backup/414/home/smartftp/mail/domain1.com/ for dir in new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuantica
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Restoring a system from a backup

I have backed up the contents of my Solaris 10 machine in its entirety, and I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow use this archive to restore my old system just as it was on a new machine. Assuming I have all files from my old machine backed up, is this possible? What I've been trying to do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
6 Replies
FLEXBACKUP(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FLEXBACKUP(1)

NAME
flexbackup - a flexible backup/archiving tool SYNOPSIS
flexbackup [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
Flexbackup is a perl script front-end to various low-level archiving utilities such as tar, dump/restore, cpio, and others. BACKUP OPTIONS
flexbackup -dir <dir> Backup a directory tree starting from path "path" using level 0 (full). flexbackup -set all Backup all sets defined in flexbackup.conf(5) using level 0 (full). flexbackup -set <tag> Backup a set named "tag" using level 0 (full). The set name is defined in flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -level <0-9 | full | differential | incremental> Change backup level to a number "0-9", or one of the symbolic names: "full" (level 0); "differential" (level 1); "incremental" (pre- vious backup level + 1). flexbackup [...] -pkgdelta <rpm | freebsd> Prune backup to files not part of a package or changed from distributed version. flexbackup [...] -wday <0-7> Backup only if the week day matches the input number. Sunday is 0 or 7. flexbackup [...] -pipe Write backup data to stdout rather than file/device. flexbackup [...] -ignore-errors Continue backups even if commands return error status RESTORE OPTIONS
flexbackup -list List files in archive. flexbackup -extract Extract (restore) all files from archive into your current working directory. flexbackup -extract -flist <filelist> Extract (restore) the files listed in text file "filelist" into your current working directory. flexbackup -extract -onefile <filename> Extract (restore) the single file named "filename" into your current working directory. flexbackup -compare Compare the archive with the files in your current working directory. flexbackup -restore Interactive restore (dump type only for now). flexbackup [...] -num <n> Read file number "n" from tape. If not given uses current tape position. flexbackup [...] <archive> If archiving to files rather than a device, use file named "archive" for the list/extract/compare/restore operations. flexbackup [...] -pipe Read backup data from stdin rather than file/device. INDEXING OPTIONS
flexbackup -toc List current device's table of contents. flexbackup -toc all List all known table of contents. flexbackup -toc <key> List table of contents for specific database index key named "key". flexbackup -rmindex all Force delete all database index info. flexbackup -rmindex <key> Force delete specified database tape/dir index key named "key". flexbackup -rmindex <key:file> Force delete specified database tape/dir index key named "key", file number "file". MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS
flexbackup -newtape Erase and create new index key (but don't do any backups). flexbackup -rmfile all If archiving to files rather than device, remove all files and index information. flexbackup -rmfile <file> If archiving to files rather than device, remove the file named "file" and its index information. flexbackup [...] -c <file.conf> Use file named "file.conf" for configuration information instead of /etc/flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -type <type> Override $type setting from config file with "type". flexbackup [...] -compress <type> Override $compress setting from config file with "type". flexbackup [...] -device <device> Override $device setting from config file with "device". flexbackup [...] -d <'setting=value'> Override $setting setting from config file with "value". flexbackup -dir <dir> -erase Force a rewind/erase before backup of directory named "dir". flexbackup -dir <dir> -norewind Do not rewind tape after a single backup of directory named "dir". flexbackup -set <tag> -noreten Do not retension tape for level 0 (full) backups of set named "tag". flexbackup -set <tag> -noerase Do not rewind/erase tape for level 0 (full) backups of set named "tag". flexbackup [...] -reten Force a retension of tape before reading. flexbackup [...] -defaults Do not use any default values for config variables. flexbackup -version Display version and exit. TESTING
/DEBUGGING OPTIONS flexbackup -test-tape-drive Tries writing/reading files to make sure you have tape driver and parameters set up correctly in flexbackup.conf(5). flexbackup [...] -n Don't run actual dump or mt commands, just print the steps that would be taken (dry run). flexbackup [...] -type filelist Run a special backup type that just saves a list of files that would have been archived. FILES
/etc/flexbackup.conf - configuration settings REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to (flexbackup-help@lists.sourceforge.net) AUTHOR
Written by Edwin Huffstutler (edwinh@computer.org) SEE ALSO
flexbackup.conf(5) afio(1) mt(1) tar(1) star(1) cpio(1) dump(1) restore(1) buffer(1) mbuffer(1) Flexbackup Oct 2003 FLEXBACKUP(1)