Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple terms and output to individual files Post 302698773 by ivpz on Monday 10th of September 2012 01:30:38 PM
Old 09-10-2012
Grep multiple terms and output to individual files

Hi all,

I'll like to search a list of tems in a huge file and then output each of the terms to individual files. I know I can use grep -f list main.file to search them but how can I split the output into individual files? Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping multiple terms with different arguments

Grep -e 'term1' -A1 -e 'term2' -A3The above code always searches for either term and prints results + next three lines. I'm trying to print out: foo foo foo term1 bar bar bar line right after the above -- la la la la term2 so so so line right after the above and again and again I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file in to multiple files and passing each individual file to a command

I have an input file with contents like: MainFile.dat: 12247689|7896|77698080 16768900|hh78|78959390 12247689|7896|77698080 16768900|hh78|78959390 12247689|7896|77698080 16768900|hh78|78959390 12247689|7896|77698080 16768900|hh78|78959390 12247689|7896|77698080 16768900|hh78|78959390 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple search terms with context

I have a file that is a sort library in the format: ##def title1 content1 stuff1 content2 stuff2 ##enddef ##def title2 etc.. I want to grep def and content and pull some trailing context from content so the result would look something like: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moe.Wilensky
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Redirecting grep output to multiple files

Hi All, I am trying to redirect the grep output to multiple files, can you please help with that. Below is the command im using to match my pattern grep \<proxyType\>$PxyType $DIR/EndureFiles.json > File_Name*.json Note : $DIR and $PxyType is already defined in my script Im able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)

SYNOPSIS
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep - search log messages for a given pattern DESCRIPTION
The Grep filter requires a single Perl pattern (regular expression) as its argument. The pattern is then applied to the svn:log property of each revision it receives. If the pattern matches, the revision is allowed to continue down the pipeline. If the pattern fails to match, the pipeline immediately skips to the next revision. The pattern is applied with the /i modifier (case insensitivity). If you want case-sensitivity or other modifications to the behavior of your pattern, you must use the "(?imsx-imsx)" extended pattern (see "perldoc perlre" for details). For example, to search for log messages that match exactly the characters "foo" you might use svk log --filter "grep (?-i)foo" However, to search for "foo" without regards for case, one might try svk log --filter "grep foo" The result of any capturing parentheses inside the pattern are not available. If demand dictates, the Grep filter could be modified to place the captured value somewhere in the stash for other filters to access. If the pattern contains a pipe character ('|'), it must be escaped by preceding it with a '' character. Otherwise, the portion of the pattern after the pipe character is interpreted as the name of a log filter. STASH
/PROPERTY MODIFICATIONS Grep leaves all properties and the stash intact. perl v5.10.0 2008-08-04 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)