Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a directory when its non-existent Post 302698739 by CarloM on Monday 10th of September 2012 12:31:08 PM
Old 09-10-2012
Code:
if [ ! -d ${source_dir} ] 
then
mkdir -p ${target_dir}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add or modify if existent

I want to set these params in /etc/system set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=2000000000 set shmseg:shminfo_shmseg=200 if this param exists, then I want to modify them if not, I want to add them. I can add them using >>/etc/system but how to do the modify thing? at least I can comment the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for future / non existent dates

'm attempting to script an application for the bash shell. The application needs to check for birthday, but must check the birthday to see if the date is a) in the future b) exists at all (ie Feb 29th during non-leap years). The input is being entered in a YYYYMMDD format, so I was hoping someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to create any directory that uses numbers as the directory name

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): ================================================================== root@server # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) root@server # uname -a Linux server.integrityserver.net... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
16 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a directory if its non-existent within a script

Hi, is there a way to create a directory when its non-existent when trying to move files to this particular folder? Thanks much. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shebang of non-existent interpreter not giving error

I read that whenever you provide wrong path at sha-bang it will generate an error with message "command not found", but when I run script with wrong path, it runs perfectly without generating any error. any reason ? #!/home/usrname/etc echo "hello" exit 0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Create new directory and move files to that directory.?

Hi All, We have main directory called "head" under this we have several sub directories and under these directories we have sub directories. My requirement is I have to find the SQL files which are having the string "procedure" under "head" directory and sub directories as well. And create... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create directory and sub-directory with awk and bash

In the below I am trying to create a parent directory using the R_2019 line from f1 if what above it is not empty. I then create sub-directories under each parent if there is a match between $2 of f1 and $2. Inside each sub-folder the matching paths in $3 and $4 in f2are printed. If there is no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
unknown(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							unknown(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
unknown - Handle attempts to use non-existent commands SYNOPSIS
unknown cmdName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is invoked by the Tcl interpreter whenever a script tries to invoke a command that doesn't exist. The implementation of unknown isn't part of the Tcl core; instead, it is a library procedure defined by default when Tcl starts up. You can override the default unknown to change its functionality. If the Tcl interpreter encounters a command name for which there is not a defined command, then Tcl checks for the existence of a command named unknown. If there is no such command, then the interpreter returns an error. If the unknown command exists, then it is invoked with arguments consisting of the fully-substituted name and arguments for the original non-existent command. The unknown command typically does things like searching through library directories for a command procedure with the name cmdName, or expanding abbreviated command names to full-length, or automatically executing unknown commands as sub-processes. In some cases (such as expanding abbreviations) unknown will change the original command slightly and then (re-)execute it. The result of the unknown command is used as the result for the original non-existent command. The default implementation of unknown behaves as follows. It first calls the auto_load library procedure to load the command. If this succeeds, then it executes the original command with its original arguments. If the auto-load fails then unknown calls auto_execok to see if there is an executable file by the name cmd. If so, it invokes the Tcl exec command with cmd and all the args as arguments. If cmd can't be auto-executed, unknown checks to see if the command was invoked at top-level and outside of any script. If so, then unknown takes two additional steps. First, it sees if cmd has one of the following three forms: !!, !event, or ^old^new?^?. If so, then unknown carries out history substitution in the same way that csh would for these constructs. Finally, unknown checks to see if cmd is a unique abbrevia- tion for an existing Tcl command. If so, it expands the command name and executes the command with the original arguments. If none of the above efforts has been able to execute the command, unknown generates an error return. If the global variable auto_noload is defined, then the auto-load step is skipped. If the global variable auto_noexec is defined then the auto-exec step is skipped. Under normal circum- stances the return value from unknown is the return value from the command that was eventually executed. SEE ALSO
info(n), proc(n) KEYWORDS
error, non-existent command Tcl unknown(n)