Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Re: Read lines and compare in a loop Post 302698727 by rcc50886 on Monday 10th of September 2012 12:11:25 PM
Old 09-10-2012
That was amazing, It worked for me.

Your previous one worked for me but not the updated one.

Last edited by rcc50886; 09-10-2012 at 01:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file and compare

hi how can i read a file using the unix script and check for one or more field value for a predefined status/value for example : the file contains the following text Name IP Address/Mask Type Connection Status mgmt-eth0(1) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use while loop in bash shell to read a file with 4 lines of gap

Hi , I am currently using the while loop in bash shell, as follows. while read line do echo $line done < file.txt However, i want to use the while loop on file.txt, which will read the file with 4 lines of gap. Ex- if file.txt is a file of 100 lines, then i want to use the loop such... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file and compare

i want a shell script to read the a list of numbers from a file and compare with a unique number with the list. FOR EXAMPLE : abc.lst file contains d following 2343 3214 45654 563456 5436 Unique number is 2342 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read lines with different lengths in while loop

Hi there ! I need to treat files with variable line length, and process the tab-delimited words of each line. The tools I know are some basic bash scripting and sed ... I haven't got to python or perl yet. So my file looks like this obj1 0.01953 0.34576 0.04418 0.01249 obj2 0.78140... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Two lines in a CSV File and Compare

Hi , I have a CSV file ( file.csv) with some data as below: A,1,abc,x,y,z,,xyz,20100101,99991231 A,1,abc,x,y,z,234,xyz,20100101,99991231 I have to delete the duplicate line based on unique identifiers which are values in the fields- 2,3,4,8.These coulmns in both the rows have same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a for loop read in lines with spaces?

Is this possible? I have a for loop in a shell script reading a list, but I want each line to be a loop, not each thing with a space. Here is the example: HOSTLIST="\ 1.2.3.4 serverA 1.2.3.5 serverB" for NBUHOST in `echo $HOSTLIST` do ssh ${SERVERNAME} "echo "${NBUHOST}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to read lines in file and compare value in if not working

Hello, I have this file that sometime contains 0 lines and sometimes 1 or more. It's supposed to then put the result (could be 0 or 1 or 2 or more) into a variable. Then it's supposed to echo using an if else statement depending on the value of the variable. flagvar='wc -l $tempfile |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies
rwbytype.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						    rwbytype.d(1m)

NAME
rwbytype.d - read/write bytes by vnode type. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
rwbytype.d DESCRIPTION
This program identifies the vnode type of read/write activity - whether that is for regular files, sockets, character special devices, etc. This is measuring at the application level, so file activity may well be cached by the system. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # rwbytype.d FIELDS
PID process ID CMD process name VNODE vnode type (describes I/O type) DIR direction, Read or Write BYTES total bytes DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
rwbytype.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
rwbypid.d(1M), rwbbypid.d(1M), dtrace(1M) version 0.70 Jan 11, 2006 rwbytype.d(1m)