Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris SPARC speed issue
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris SPARC speed issue Post 302698705 by Pug on Monday 10th of September 2012 06:40:33 PM
Old 09-10-2012
Again, thank you for your responses.

So please let me clarify a few points to be sure.

1. 'hergp' is saying that if the issue is that they are using a T1 T2 type multi core SPARC than the issue is not so much the 32 vs 64 bit compile as it is the single threaded vs multi-threaded processing. Correct?
On Windows x86 vs X64 we found that the increase in compiling to X64 is just under 20% (comparing the running of one process on the same input data). Would you expect something similar on SPARC?

2. 'jlliagreis' saying that if it is possible to design our program to be multi-threaded (which I don't think we can) or if we run the program in parallel processes on different sets of data instead of in sequence, then we should be able to see some improvement. However, the amount will depend on the type of bottle neck we are experiencing (which we do not know yet). So for example, if it is straight CPU bound then we should see the best improvement, whereas if it is I/O bound then they may be less improvement, etc.

3. How do I know if we are running T1 or T2 with regard to floating point? I noticed that you said it is niagara based on the sun4v. How do I tell what T level they have?

4. What Solaris SPARC hardware would be better for doing this type of processing? I am not sure we have a choice but I am certainly curious.

---------- Post updated at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:38 AM ----------

One other things. They have two servers. One is a T2 and the other a T3 and specifically they are:SunOS 5.10 Generic_147440-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 (T2)
SunOS 5.10 Generic_147440-01 sun4v sparc sun4v (T3)

What does this tell us about single thread / multi-thread or floating point etc?
How does sun4v differ from sun4u? How does T2 differ from T3?

Thank you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with installing solaris 10 OS on sparc 5

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s Evaluating: boot cdrom -s Can't open boot device If any one knows please advise. I have changed the CDrom but it did not help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ark
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Solaris Sparc Apps on X86 Solaris

I know that Sun make s a version of Solaris for Sparc platforms and also an x86 (Intel/AMD) release of Solaris. Can an application that runs on Solaris/Sparc also run on a PC running the x86 release of Solaris? Would a different release be required or any re-compling of the application? jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stocksj
1 Replies

3. Solaris

CC 5.5 compiler flag to issue 64bit porting warnings on sparc-solaris

Hi, We are porting our application from 32bit to 64bit. We tried -xarch=v9, -xarc=v9a and -xport64=full options so that compiler to issue 64bit porting warnings. But we are not getting any porting warninings WE are using CC 5.5 compiler on sparc-solaris m/c. Please tell us some powerful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shobhah
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Issue while installing: Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23)

Hello, As explained, I've encountered an issue while installing Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23). Actually, patch no 120011-14 stops with the following error: ERROR: attribute verification of </var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd> failed file type <f>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.mauger
6 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios on Solaris 10 Sparc issue

I've got it installed but when I logging to the interface to http://localhost/nagios I get the following: Forbidden You don't have permission to access /nagios/ on this server. Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at localhost Port 80 im running Solaris Version: SunOS dotstoas442 5.10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchykd
0 Replies

6. Solaris

hba speed Solaris 9

Hello, In Solaris 10 I can use fcinfo to find what speed the hba ports are running at, am I able to find this out using Solaris 9? I have tried a few variations on luxadm but cant find anything relevant. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Actuator
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC?

Hi Gurus can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? regards, Israel. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to read this Solaris version:-Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC?

Hi Guys, Could you please tell me how to read this Solaris version:- Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
3 Replies
getrusage(2)							System Calls Manual						      getrusage(2)

NAME
getrusage - get information about resource utilization SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function provides measures of the resources used by the current process or its terminated and waited-for child processes. If the value of the who argument is information is returned about resources used by the current process. If the value of the who argument is information is returned about resources used by the terminated and waited-for children of the current process. If the child is never waited for (for instance, if the parent has set or sets to the resource information for the child process is discarded and not included in the resource information provided by The r_usage argument is a pointer to an object of type in which the returned information is stored. If the current process is multi-threaded, returns the information about the resources used by all the active and the reaped threads/light- weight processes in the current process if the value of the who argument is If the value of the who argument is in a multi-threaded process, information returned is the same as it would be for a single-threaded process. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns Otherwise, is returned, and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The function will fail if: [EINVAL] The value of the who argument is not valid. SEE ALSO
exit(2), sigaction(2), time(1), times(2), wait(1), <sys/resource.h>. getrusage(2)