Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file Post 302698387 by thuranga on Monday 10th of September 2012 03:22:38 AM
Old 09-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin

Code:
script 2>&1 1>/some/file | tee -a /some/file

This finally does what we want: output to <stdout> is put into "/some/file", output to <stderr> is being displayed before being appended to /some/file" too.

The only uncertainty left is that i am not sure if the exact sequence of the messages will be preserved, especially if there is high load and many messages. You will have to try that. I'll be tankful if you could post a follow-up telling us this.
Hi bakunin,
thank you for your notes! I tried your adjustments, but the STDOUT will always displayed on screen.

I need this for a cronjob. Actually everything (STDOUT & STDERR) is written to a log. But I want to get informed, when an error occurs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending stdout and stderr to a file

working on a c sell script I think I understand the concept of it, which is: filename >> file.txt (to appaend) or filename | tee -a file.txt (to append) The problem is that my shell script is used with several parameters, and these commands don't seem to work with just filename. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistermojo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

7. Programming

stderr stdout to a log file

I originally wrote my script using the korn shell and had to port it to bash on a another server. My script is working find for backing up but noticed that now after the move, I am not getting any output to my log files. Using Korn shell, this worked for me for some odd reason. This was sending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect STDOUT and STDERR of a process with the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (STDIN) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (STDOUT) and standard error output (STDERR) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a short version string and exits. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with STDOUT/STDERR connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both STDOUT and STDERR are captured while in the second example only STDOUT is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)