Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Writing a script to print the number of lines in multiple files Post 302698381 by elixir_sinari on Monday 10th of September 2012 03:15:08 AM
Old 09-10-2012
Like this?
Code:
if wc -l data*.txt 2>/dev/null >flist
then
 awk '$2!="total"{gsub(/^data|\.txt$/,"",$2);print $2,$1}' flist
fi
rm flist

And if you are sure that at least 1 file exists (which matches the pattern) and if your shell supports process substitution, you could try:
Code:
awk '$2!="total"{gsub(/^data|\.txt$/,"",$2);print $2,$1}' <(wc -l data*.txt)

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 09-10-2012 at 04:46 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print lines into multiple files

Hi, i have an input text file like this: Student 1 maths science = Student 2 maths science = Student 3 maths science i would like to print each student information into separate files, each student id is separated by "=". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint2006
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to manipulate a script and store it in multiple output files

I have a script where the the 9th line looks like this: $filename=sprintf("250.1chr%d.ped", $N); I want to modify this script 1000 times, changing 250.1chr%d.ped to 250.2chr%d.ped, 250.3chr%.ped.......and so on all the way to 250.1000chr%d.ped and store each output in files called ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a Perl Script that processes multiple files

I want to write a Perl script that manipulates multiple files. In the directory, I have files 250.*chr$.ped where * is from 1 to 1000 and $ is from 1-22 for a total of 22 x 10,000 = 22,000 files. I want to write a script that only manipulates files 250.1chr*.ped where * is from 1 to 22.... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I run the following command on multiple files and print out the corresponding multiple files. perl script.pl genome.gff 1.txt > 1.gff However, there are multiples files of 1.txt, from 1----100.txt Thank you so much. No duplicate posting! Continue here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files. FOR EXAMPLE i want to run script.pl on 100 files named 1.txt ....100.txt under same directory and print out corresponding file 1.gff ....100.gff.THANKS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
BINFMT.D(5)							     binfmt.d							       BINFMT.D(5)

NAME
binfmt.d - Configure additional binary formats for executables at boot SYNOPSIS
/etc/binfmt.d/*.conf /run/binfmt.d/*.conf /usr/lib/binfmt.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
At boot, systemd-binfmt.service(8) reads configuration files from the above directories to register in the kernel additional binary formats for executables. CONFIGURATION FORMAT
Each file contains a list of binfmt_misc kernel binary format rules. Consult binfmt_misc.txt[1] for more information on registration of additional binary formats and how to write rules. Empty lines and lines beginning with ; and # are ignored. Note that this means you may not use ; and # as delimiter in binary format rules. Each configuration file shall be named in the style of program.conf. Files in /etc/ override files with the same name in /usr/lib/ and /run/. Files in /run/ override files with the same name in /usr/lib/. Packages should install their configuration files in /usr/lib/, files in /etc/ are reserved for the local administrator, who may use this logic to override the configuration files installed from vendor packages. All files are sorted by their filename in lexicographic order, regardless of which of the directories they reside in. If multiple files specify the same binary type name, the entry in the file with the lexicographically latest name will be applied. If the administrator wants to disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor, the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in /etc/binfmt.d/ bearing the same filename. EXAMPLE
Example 1. /etc/binfmt.d/wine.conf example: # Start WINE on Windows executables :DOSWin:M::MZ::/usr/bin/wine: SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-binfmt.service(8), systemd-delta(1), wine(8) NOTES
1. binfmt_misc.txt https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt systemd 208 BINFMT.D(5)