Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trouble setting up a shared folder Post 302698303 by 14952john on Sunday 9th of September 2012 09:38:59 PM
Old 09-09-2012
[Solved] Trouble setting up a shared folder

I'm trying to set up a folder in my home directory that will be shared with another user but for some reason it is not working this is what I've done, I have tried two different ways using ACL's and chown/chgrp etc

I set up a group called say: sharedgroup and added both my user (john) and fred to it so when I run
Code:
groups john
john wheel sharedgroup

groups fred
sharedgroup fred 

mkdir /home/john/shared
vim /home/john/shared/hello.txt (typed in some text saved it)
chown -R :sharedgroup shared
chmod -R o=-rwx shared
ll
drwxrwx--- 2 john sharedgroup   4096 Sep  9 21:14 shared
ll shared
-rw-rw-r-- 1 john sharedgroup 7 Sep  9 21:14 hello.txt

(I also tried adding in the s permissions but that didn't help either)

then when I log out of the server and log back in as fred and try these commands they fail
Code:
vim /home/john/shared/hello.txt (won't allow me to write opens a blank file)
cd /home/john/shared
 PERMISSION DENIED
ls /home/john/shared
 PERMISSION DENIED

Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data.

Last edited by vbe; 09-10-2012 at 04:59 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

can folder shared with NFS (/usr/)

hello i wanted to ask you i try to setting: pc server name: A pc user name: B pc user name: C server A is opensuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.5 and last kernel so i create NFS server, i think.. folder (/usr is all softwares and library) because server A can share to PC A. because all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tunjin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

See shared folder

Hello, I want to list all shared folder in terminal in local. I haven't found the command for, i'm on bash in mac os x. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: protocomm
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Trouble setting up a static IP on NetGear DGN1000

I have been trying to setup a static ip, however everytime I do so my internet disconnects and won't connect untill I switch back to dynamic. My router is a NetGear DGN1000 and I'm using it wired. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomigosh
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Trouble setting up Java classpath

Saw an error while setting up an application called i2phex: # ./run.sh java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize phex.net.repres.i2p.I2PPresentationManager at phex.common.ManagerController.initializeManagers(ManagerController.java:78) at phex.Main.main(Main.java:161)After... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Israel213
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to connect the shared folder

Hello, I am using unix through cygwin application in my office machine and here i encounter a problem which i want copy certain big files from a shared folder shared folder--\\Parwvm000154\docs to my local machine c:/ I'm really honor if i clarified with the command. Regards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble Setting Up Sun Ultra 10 - Displaying Garbage

Hello there, I am new to this forum as well as to the UNIX world. Recently graduated with a degree in Computing and just started learning UNIX & bought 3 Sun Ultra 10 Servers. I was trying to set the Servers up so I can use them; the Servers don't have a VGA card. My laptop, which I would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhan2u
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble setting up flag ( getopt) for my script

do case $option in d ) CHEC=true;; # more option processing can go here \? ) echo "Unknown option: -$OPTARG" : ) echo "Missing option argument for -$OPTARG";; * ) echo "Unimplimented option: -$OPTARG";; esac done shift $(($OPTIND - 1)) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upenmishra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with setting a variable with vastool

Hi I have this command that when put on the command line it returns the output the way I want it. /opt/quest/bin/vastool list -a groups | grep testdev_li | grep dev | awk -F"" 'NF>2{print $2}' | cut -c2- | tr '\n' '|' The output of this is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Setting UID and GID for shared folder using NFS method in Linux system

Hi everyone, have a good day to you. I am trying to use NFS to share a folder between 2 linux systems. Let's say the server which is sharing the folder is server A and the client which need to access this shared folder is server B. In server B, i am having a Joe user which UID and GID is 500.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
1 Replies
UNAFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  UNAFS(8)

NAME
unafs - script to warn users about their weak passwords SYNOPSIS
unafs password-files cell-name DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the unafs command, which is part of the john package. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. john, better known as John the Ripper, is a tool to find weak passwords of users in a server. The unafs tool gets password hashes out of the binary AFS database, and produces a file usable by John. SEE ALSO
john(8), mailer(8), unique(8), unshadow(8). The programs are documented fully by John's documentation, which should be available in /usr/share/doc/john or other location, depending on your system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). John the Ripper and mailer were written by Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com>. The complete list of contributors can be found in the CRED- ITS file in the documentation directory. john June 03, 2004 UNAFS(8)