Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Messed up password
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Messed up password Post 302698251 by Royalist on Sunday 9th of September 2012 07:14:35 AM
Old 09-09-2012
Bug The end is in sight

Here you are Lem and thanks:

Code:
roy@roy-desktop:~$ grep roy /etc/shadow
roy::15323:0:99999:7:::

I have been duplicating your comments on a second computer and can now see the differences for myself.

I cannot explain what may have caused these errors, but I assume they can easily be corrected from root shell, or are you suggesting the use of expiredate 1 below?

Quote:
-l, --lock
Lock the password of the named account. This option disables a password by changing it
to a value which matches no possible encrypted value (it adds a ´!´ at the beginning
of the password).

Note that this does not disable the account. The user may still be able to login using
another authentication token (e.g. an SSH key). To disable the account, administrators
should use usermod --expiredate 1 (this set the account's expire date to Jan 2, 1970).

Users with a locked password are not allowed to change their password.
[...]
-u, --unlock
Unlock the password of the named account. This option re-enables a password by
changing the password back to its previous value (to the value before using the -l
option).

I certainly have read the above many times, but did not feel happy to try the -l option for passwd as I have no idea what an SSH key is. Also I did read man usermod for expiredate 1, but thought I might be opening another "can of worms"?

I can see that the end is nigh, as I will have full confidence with expert guidance and it is a great way to learn!
Smilie

Last edited by Royalist; 09-09-2012 at 06:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do u remove a messed up freebsd boot installation?

i messed up while installing freebsd into a dual os wannabe system. Now, how do i del it( so i wouldn't get prompted to choose freebsd during boot?)so that i could try installing a different flavour of linux? cheers:eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coffeecoolers
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messed up tar files

I created tar files for directories using this command: tar -cvf * >tarfile what happened was I got a file tarfile with a list of the files and it took the first file in each directory and overwrote it with the actual tar file. I've been trying to figure out since yesterday what I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I think I have messed up with crontab

Hi Guy, In my system there were some cronjob were already scheduled. and somehow I want to enter one new cronjob with crontab. So I isssue crontab temp.txt. it scheduled that job but now it's showing me only this job with crontab -l. but I can not see the old cronjob list that already set up.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
2 Replies

4. AIX

Totally messed up

I have moved the etc/passwd file and we are now unable to get in to Unix - any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbagwell
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't loging because .basrc file messed up

Dear Friends, I have messed up with my .bashrc file (something I have deleted) and now i can't login back to system.. any Idea.. I can do login with other login and password.. but I dont have root password because of security reason... If I ask root then It will take about 4 -5 days to go... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umeshjaviya
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messed up my boot environment or root profile

Ok, a couple weeks ago I was fixing a cron report about perl not happy with 'locale' info (LANG and LC not set). As a result, I was experimenting with setting the correct 'locale' in several areas (like /etc/sysconfig/i18n and who knows where). Somehow after a reboot, as soon as the OS starts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garball
3 Replies

7. Linux

history timestamp is messed up

Hi, Just wanted to know if anyone else has noted that the time-stamp in the history is all out of whack.:eek: I've Ubuntu, all patched, and when I ran history, it showed me commands that I ran few weeks ago with today's date. Is this normal? Here is a snippet: .... 85 2010-06-09 09:03:31... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

messed up path

Help!! Seem to have messed up my path, as I keep getting command not found error. Could someone please tell whats wrong or how to fix it. export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:$PATH ---------- Post updated at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:50 PM ---------- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davcra
1 Replies

9. AIX

Oracle ASM accidentally messed with my hdisk

I have AIX 5.3 with oracle 10g ( test server). While trying to create RAW disk for Oracle ASM I have accidentally messed with rootvg (hdisk0 & hdisk1) When I do # lspv hdisk0 0516-066 : Physical volume is not a volume group member. Check the physical volume name specified. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: George_Samaan
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Ignite-UX INDEX file messed up, how to recreate?

OK, so I just messed myself up. Thinking the /var/opt/ignite/data/INDEX files was static, I manually edited the file and added 2 more OS's to it. During an Install it only showed the first OS (started with 11.31, 3 versions then added a 11.23, and a 11.11 stanza's). The 11.23 and 11.11 never... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)