Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing char in filename scripts fails Post 302698159 by alister on Saturday 8th of September 2012 01:50:18 PM
Old 09-08-2012
The unquoted whitespace in the filename is interpreted by the shell as a field separator. mv sees more than two arguments and expects the last one to be a directory.

Regards and welcome to the forum,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing all 4 first upper char of every rec to lowercase ?

I have a file where some records have been updated the wrong way and need to fix it quickly since the amount can be alot. Every record where any of the first 4 characters are in upper case need to be changed to lowercase. Records can have '#' in position-1 for comments. These musn't be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file <filename> fails

Hi Friends I tried to find the file type of a file on my linux machine by using the following command file xy.txt instead of getting the file type i got following message file: couldnot found any magic files! What is wrong on this how can i find the file type? Regards Shekar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingskar
2 Replies

3. Programming

replacing char with string

how we can replace char with a string example char *a="a.s" so finally what i ant to do raplace a with ant and s sree so in my array a i want to store the value as "ant.sree" thank u in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts fails if you change its code during the execution.

So a script is working properly (tested many times) , then you add a new fine piece of code ,finaly its fails generally with a syntax error at the last line of the script. :confused:... does anybody why this happens? >uname -a HP-UX test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy/move to a file with a special character as the 1st char in the filename?

I am trying to create files with special characters in its filenames for testing purposes. This is on a Linux RHEL4 but this should also be applicable on a Unix shell. I am able to create files with special characters in the filenames...e.g. cp -pv foo.gif \*special.gif cp -pv foo.gif \... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing one Char in a string of variable length

Hi all, I am trying to find the best way of making a change to 1 char in a string, the string can be between 1 and 14 characters. I am reading a line in from a file which contains 012341231231:2:102939283:NNN: Require :NBN: 012838238232:3:372932:NNN: Require :NNB: I need to change 1 N or a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file and replacing char by position

Hi I'm looking for a way to read a text file that may contain 1000 records or more and each of these records has 460 characters. I need to read each record, and add a string of characters starting at position 256 for each record. Any suggestions using UNIX shell scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macastor
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing multiple special chars with single char

Hi I've a string . And i need to replace set of characters with a single character Means .. or . or ... and so on should be replaced with single % character Irrespective of number of dots in between the characters , those should be replaced with single % All the above strings should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of filename

Hi guys! I have quite a lot of files like all_10001_ct1212307460308.alf* and I want to get rid of the first number for all at once like: all_ct1212307460308.alf* How can I do this in the shell? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimmyTiz
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing a char

Hello All, I have a file as below . I want to convert the Y with numbers to H From 4, M11, P2521759, Y75,Y70,Y105,Y110,Y700,Y815,Y830,Y900,Y162,Y300, Y291,Y290,Y15,Y20, MR2716014,MR2617014, Yesterday,current 1,201012, 102032,1 11112,0 to 4, M11, P2521759,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-j file_number field] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. (The argument to -a must not be preceded by a space; see the COMPATIBILITY section.) -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. (To distinguish between this and -a file_number, join currently requires that the latter not include any white space.) -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form ``file_num- ber.field_number'' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named ``1.2''. These options are available only so historic shell scripts don't require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD