Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing char in filename scripts fails Post 302698147 by SailingDreams on Saturday 8th of September 2012 11:14:15 AM
Old 09-08-2012
Replacing char in filename scripts fails

Hi

I'm trying to remove what I "think" is a bad character. How I got the bad character is when I downloaded jpgs onto my PC and then renamed the files using windows explorer. In cygwin, the files look like

Code:
$ dir -l
total 7840
----------+ 1 None 3647968 Jul 21 08:41 2012-07-21\ (1).JPG
----------+ 1 None 3635983 Jul 21 10:29 2012-07-21\ (2).JPG
----------+ 1 None  738515 Jul 21 10:34 2012-07-21\ (3).JPG

I tried the script from this thread

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...haracters.html

but get the error

Code:
$ sh replaceChar.sh
mv: target `(1).JPG' is not a directory
mv: target `(2).JPG' is not a directory
mv: target `(3).JPG' is not a directory

I tested the script below and it works for other characters, but not the "\" which I think is causing the problem.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for file in *
do
  mv "$file" $(echo $file | sed -e "s/[\%]/_/g")
done

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers SailingDreams

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting code and data, not only for code. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 09-08-2012 at 08:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing all 4 first upper char of every rec to lowercase ?

I have a file where some records have been updated the wrong way and need to fix it quickly since the amount can be alot. Every record where any of the first 4 characters are in upper case need to be changed to lowercase. Records can have '#' in position-1 for comments. These musn't be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file <filename> fails

Hi Friends I tried to find the file type of a file on my linux machine by using the following command file xy.txt instead of getting the file type i got following message file: couldnot found any magic files! What is wrong on this how can i find the file type? Regards Shekar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingskar
2 Replies

3. Programming

replacing char with string

how we can replace char with a string example char *a="a.s" so finally what i ant to do raplace a with ant and s sree so in my array a i want to store the value as "ant.sree" thank u in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts fails if you change its code during the execution.

So a script is working properly (tested many times) , then you add a new fine piece of code ,finaly its fails generally with a syntax error at the last line of the script. :confused:... does anybody why this happens? >uname -a HP-UX test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy/move to a file with a special character as the 1st char in the filename?

I am trying to create files with special characters in its filenames for testing purposes. This is on a Linux RHEL4 but this should also be applicable on a Unix shell. I am able to create files with special characters in the filenames...e.g. cp -pv foo.gif \*special.gif cp -pv foo.gif \... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing one Char in a string of variable length

Hi all, I am trying to find the best way of making a change to 1 char in a string, the string can be between 1 and 14 characters. I am reading a line in from a file which contains 012341231231:2:102939283:NNN: Require :NBN: 012838238232:3:372932:NNN: Require :NNB: I need to change 1 N or a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file and replacing char by position

Hi I'm looking for a way to read a text file that may contain 1000 records or more and each of these records has 460 characters. I need to read each record, and add a string of characters starting at position 256 for each record. Any suggestions using UNIX shell scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macastor
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing multiple special chars with single char

Hi I've a string . And i need to replace set of characters with a single character Means .. or . or ... and so on should be replaced with single % character Irrespective of number of dots in between the characters , those should be replaced with single % All the above strings should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of filename

Hi guys! I have quite a lot of files like all_10001_ct1212307460308.alf* and I want to get rid of the first number for all at once like: all_ct1212307460308.alf* How can I do this in the shell? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimmyTiz
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing a char

Hello All, I have a file as below . I want to convert the Y with numbers to H From 4, M11, P2521759, Y75,Y70,Y105,Y110,Y700,Y815,Y830,Y900,Y162,Y300, Y291,Y290,Y15,Y20, MR2716014,MR2617014, Yesterday,current 1,201012, 102032,1 11112,0 to 4, M11, P2521759,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
MKTEMP(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 MKTEMP(P)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique filename (LEGACY) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function shall replace the contents of the string pointed to by template by a unique filename and return template. The appli- cation shall initialize template to be a filename with six trailing 'X' s; mktemp() shall replace each 'X' with a single byte character from the portable filename character set. RETURN VALUE
The mktemp() function shall return the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template shall point to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
Generating a Filename The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); APPLICATION USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp() function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
This function may be withdrawn in a future version. SEE ALSO
mkstemp() , tmpfile() , tmpnam() , the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <stdlib.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 MKTEMP(P)