Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap space issue.
Operating Systems HP-UX Swap space issue. Post 302697391 by DGPickett on Thursday 6th of September 2012 05:08:28 PM
Old 09-06-2012
If locally written applications are running the system out of swap space, they can change storage from malloc()/new (make space on the VW which is backed/rolled out on swap) to files attached with mmap() or the JAVA equivalent. The files in mmap are used as backing store, so all RAM is there to cache the access, but no swap is used. Reading and writing are just memory accesses. If an app crashes, the data from RAM pages will be written by VM, which can help debugging. This not only reduces swap space usage, it reduces swap traffic.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

2. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space used???

Plz I need to know how much swap mem free and used i have. I'm using Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (rev 1885) Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap Space

Could someone please explain how you know how much swap space you have on your system. See below: # swap -s total: 8225048k bytes allocated + 4863488k reserved = 13088536k used, 4008032k available # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s1 32,25 16... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

7. Solaris

swap space issue

HI All, Recently during oracle install I realized that I did not have enough swap space. So I - 1. Created a swap file "swap_fille1" in /rpool using mkfile - # ls -ltr /rpool total 10487121 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 3 Dec 21 12:09 boot drwxr-xr-x 2 root root ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
10 Replies

8. Solaris

No Space Left - Memory/Swap issue

:wall:I'm having a bit of a problem with Solaris 10u8 and one of our applications requesting memory and being told, "no space left". The break down: 24GB Physical Memory 8GB swap at the time of occurance, here's what a memory breakdown looks like: Page Summary Pages ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: aychbee45
21 Replies

9. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap space issue

I have Solaris-10 with mutiple zones running in it. My Big Brother monitoring is complaining for very less swap space available, but I am not able to find, what process has consumed its swap space and how to clear it. All zones including global server have almost blank /tmp with very less data.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)