Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash IFS
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash IFS Post 302697329 by Corona688 on Thursday 6th of September 2012 02:39:10 PM
Old 09-06-2012
This is not a "BASH thing", by the way. Any Bourne shell does this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IFS variable

How can I set the value for IFS variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with IFS

hi, :) I set IFS=":" But when i try to echo $IFS,i am not getting any thing on the screen escept a blank line. any help pls. cheers RRK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding IFS=

hi i am a learner can some explain "export IFS=$(echo "\n\t\a")" i am not able to understand the functionality please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop with 3 ifs

im messing up somehwere...and can't seem to clean up the script...for it to work objectives: 1. check for today's file, and sleep 30 secs between retries 2. only allow 5 tries before script should fail. 3. if today's file found, wait 30 seconds for it to process.. code: count=0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and IFS

Hi, This is out of curiosity: I wanted to extract year, month and date from a variable, and thought that combining read and IFS would help, but this doesn't work: echo "2010 10 12" | read y m d I could extract the parts of the date when separated by a -, and setting IFS in a subshell: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphinou
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use IFS in this scenario?

Given the scenario like this, if at all if have to use IFS on the below given example, how it should be used. IFS=/ eg: /xyz/123/348/file1 I want to use the last slash /file1 . So can anyone, suggest me how to pick the last "/" as a IFS. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing IFS in bash function

I have a function in bash that takes arguments. does IFS work in a function or does it apply only to the main script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote while IFS

Hello masters of scripting, I've been working to develop some basic monitoring scripts. I have solved one problem, but want to know how to solve the other. I have a script that runs locally to create an output file with the Linux system kernel paramters, preceeded by the system name: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : More parameter expansion and IFS

I am trying to become more fluent with the interworking of bash and minimize the number of external calls. Sample Data. This will be the response of the snmp query. SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: SomeHostName SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.1745... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
5 Replies
RESIZE(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)