Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading and writing in same file Post 302697083 by Don Cragun on Thursday 6th of September 2012 05:03:00 AM
Old 09-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmajumder
Hi tyler,

1. 'abcde' and 'efghi' wont be there in original data. That is what I tried to explain.
The original data is not having the expected value. 'none1111' is the default value if no proper data is found after the 1st grep command.
2. So we have to run a 2nd grep command to replace those default value with expected value with the help of 4th column.
3. 4th column is the only connector b/w the two different log to get the actual 2nd column. So from the first set of data we need to pick up the 4th column (whose 2nd column is 'none1111') and we need to look for other log where we have the same 4th column to pick up the right 2nd column from next log.

Example:- First set of data

1. Consider some grep command gave below result.

12345,none1111,55,link1
56789,dsadsad,66,ewqrrwe
23456,none1111,77,link2
65655,yuytuytds,88,ertywd

2. In second column we get 'none1111' that means we have to run another grep command to pick up right 2nd column value.
Consider we ran another different grep command which takes 'link1' as input and return expected 2nd column i.e 'abcde'.
3. Then we have to replace all the 'none1111' value by iterating the first set of data and following the same procedure.

Hope it makes a bit clear to you.
What is clear to me is:
  1. You have a log file. We don't know what this log file looks like.
  2. You have run grep on the this log file and manipulated the lines that came back to produce a CSV file containing four columns.
  3. You won't tell us how you manipulated the data you grepped to produce the CSV file.
  4. You have another log file. We don't know what this log file looks like either.
  5. You want to match the 4th field in the CSV file you created against something in this second log file and replacenone1111with something else in the second log file.
  6. You aren't giving us enough data to help you.
Show us the names and contents of both log files. Explain the procedures you use to create your CSV file from the first log file. Show us the data in the 2nd log file that we are to match and show us how we determine the replacement fornone1111when we find the correct line in the 2nd log file. Then we may be able to help you.

Note that ryandegreat25 gave you a script that does what you have requested, for the values you've shown us, but almost certainly is not a general solution to the problem you're trying to solve.

Please give us enough information to be able to help you.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reading and Writing file on LAN

Hi gurus I am not a C programmer but I need to read and write files on a computer on LAN using IP address. Suppose on a computer that has an IP 192.168.0.2 Any help or code example. I did in JAVA using URL, but do not know how to do in ANSI-C. In java: ------- URL url = new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and writing the file name to a param file.

Hi All, Not sure if this would be in a dummies sectiin or advanced. I'm looking for a script if someone has doen something like this. I have list of files - adc_earnedpoints.20070630.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070707.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070714.txt adc_earnedpoints.20070721.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thebeginer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading ,writing,appending ,manipulating a file.

Hi my prob statement is to create a new file or to append to the 1tst file the followign chages. File 1: txt file. portfolio No a b c d abc 1 Any Any Any charString cds 2 values values values charString efd 3 can can can charString fdg 4 come come come charString... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: szchmaltz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log File Writing and Reading

Hi all, I have the following shell script code which tries to sftp and writes the log into the log file. TestConnection () { echo 'Connection to ' $DESTUSERNAME@$DESTHOSTNAME $SETDEBUG if ]; then rm $SCRIPT ; fi touch $SCRIPT echo "cd" $REMOTEDIR >> $SCRIPT echo "quit" >>... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
10 Replies

5. Programming

I need help with file reading/writing in C

Hello everybody, I'm trying to code a program which makes the following: It sends an ARP request frame and when it gets the reply, extracts the IP address of source and writes it to a .txt file. This is gonna be done with many hosts (with a for() loop), so, the text file would look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from DataBase and Writing to a file

Hi All, Please help me in writing data to a file in one row. In database there is a column which contains large data which does not fit in the file in one row. The column contains list of paths. I want to write these paths to a file in one row. Please find the code below writes : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

8. Programming

unexpected values received when writing and reading from file

In the code below i try to write and read from a file, but i get unexpected results, like after writing i cannot open the file, and when reading the file the value entered earlier is not shown bool creat_fragments(int nFragment) { int fd, rand_value; char frag_path, buf; for(int... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file extracting information writing to a file

Hi I am trying to extract information out of a file but keep getting grep cant open errors the code is below: #bash #extract orders with blank address details # # obtain the current date # set today to the current date ccyymmdd format today=`date +%c%m%d | cut -c24-31` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and Writing a conf file - Suggestions and improvements?

Hello all As part of my TUI - (line based) Text User Interface, i do have 2 commands to assist working with conf files. Now, for me they work, but since i wrote them, i automaticly use them they way they should be used... you know what i mean. ;) Anyway, they are designed to read 'simple'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
cmannotifyd(8)						     CMAN Notification Daemon						    cmannotifyd(8)

NAME
cmannotifyd - CMAN Notification Daemon SYNOPSIS
cmannotifyd [-f] [-d] DESCRIPTION
The cmannotifyd daemon talks to CMAN and provides a mechanism to notify external entities about cluster changes. CMAN dispatches 3 kind of notifications: - CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN when cman requests to all clients if it is allowed to shutdown. - CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE when cman detects a node joining or leaving the cluster. - CMAN_REASON_CONFIG_UPDATE when a configuration change event has been detected/requested. These notifications are then dispatched to the shell script cman_notify in the environment variable CMAN_NOTIFICATION. cman_notify will then execute all the scripts in the configured notification directory (default: /etc/cluster/cman-notify.d) passing a very minimal set of envvars including, of course, the CMAN_NOTIFICATION= type. The execution order is set by the filename as shown by "LC_ALL=C ls -las". cmannotifyd logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cmannotifyd.log). cman_notify logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cman_notify.log). By default the output from the scripts executed by cman_notify is redirected to /dev/null. Users can either set CMAN_NOTIFICATION_DEBUG=1 in their environment or set proper debug configura- tion in cluster.conf to redirect scripts output to the cman_notify log file. NOTES
cmannotifyd does not block on cman_notify nor check the exit status of the script. Notifications are dispatched in the same order as they arrive, one by one. CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN is passed to scripts for information only, they can not influence cman's decsion about whether or not to shut down. CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE also implies CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM exported in the environment. CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM will be set to 1 (when the node is part of a quorate cluster) or 0 (otherwise). A template for cman_notify scripts can be found in the doc/ directory. OPTIONS
-f Run in the foreground (do not fork / daemonize). -d Enable debug output. November 2008 cmannotifyd(8)