Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number substitution with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number substitution with sed Post 302697021 by nikop51000 on Thursday 6th of September 2012 03:19:37 AM
Old 09-06-2012
Thanks to all

Hi guys !
Thanks for all your messages !
I didn't think it would be so quick!

The -E option doesn't work with my sed (I'm on SunOS 5.10) so I'm now using this :
Code:
echo 'abc=123
abc=1234
xyzabc=123&fghij=555&abc=123abc=234' | sed -e 's/abc=123$/abc=999/g' -e 's/abc=123\([^0-9]\)/abc=999\1/g'

This is ok for me but I'd like to know if there's a better way...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution using sed

I know we can substitute a string using sed but how? For example: sed 's/(old variable)/(new variable)/ details.dat Am I suppose to put $old variable or whatever? Because I tried many times, it didnt work by putting $old variable. Am I suppose to enclose it with "" or ''? Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

Hi, I have a set of files containing strings like I.TEST1_TEST2 or B.ESSA_ESSB for example. Does somebody know how to substitute these strings whith the same name and an extension "_V1" (ie. I.TEST1_TEST2_V1) using sed command or else ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Using sed I'm trying to replace 'string' with ']' while retaining case and ignoring words with 'string' in it along with additional characters like 'strings' and those which already contain the ] wrapper. I'm hoping to do it with sed and the right expression, if possible. Example: Apple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom.lee
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed substitution

I'm a noob to unix, and I have a line of data like the following: title=Boston|tcolor=green|desc=Large city in New England|url=www.boston.com Is there a way to change a field value with sed substitution? (i.e. change tcolor=green to tcolor=blue) I figured out: sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: stabby
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hello, I have two files. File1 is normal txt file and File2 contains list of line numbers. e.g. File2: 3 6 9 ..... I need to replace a character in File1 in lines (taken from File2). For that I am using a "for" loop: for i in $(cat File2) do sed "$i s/Y/N/" File1 done but my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

How can you use sed with a line of code that reads: 67899:Bill:Williams:Maple Dr.:45908600 Let us say we want to replace Maple Dr. with Oak St. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi everyone, I need very simple sed command to change a parameter in a text file. I have a line in this text which is like set xx 0.5 A program reads this file and does some algebraic calculations. So to make a parameter scan I need to change the value of xx. I thought I can do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
7 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
       fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
       fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help]

fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the
       -path argument.

OPTIONS
       -path <dir/file path>+
	   Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the
	   current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted.

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the
       specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume.

Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the
       cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command.

EXAMPLES
       The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and
       "fs3.abc.com":

% fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com
	  File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       None

SEE ALSO
       fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							     FS_WHEREIS(1)