Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with grepping data from a text file Post 302696943 by gimley on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 10:37:06 PM
Old 09-05-2012
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in answering. My broadband was down the whole day because of heavy rains.
I found out the stupid thing I was doing. The command works fine. But if I want to locate an exact match from the source file, I should have added a regex or looked for word preceded and followed by an equal to sign. I tried the former and it worked.
Many thanks for your concern and your suggestions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from text file based on configuration set in config file

Hi , a:) i have configuration file with pattren <Range start no>,<Range end no>,<type of records to be extracted from the data file>,<name of the file to store output> eg: myfile.confg 9899000000,9899999999,DATA,b.dat 9899000000,9899999999,SMS,a.dat b:) Stucture of my data file is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suparnbector
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text by providing line numbers.

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to grep line no. 7,10, 19 to 35, 37. How can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace data in text file with data in same file

OK I will do my best to explain what I need help with. I am trying to format an ldif file so I can import it into Oracle oid. I need the file to look like this example. Keep in mind there are 3000 of these in the file. changetype: modify replace: userpassword dn:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timothyha22
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter a .kml file (xml) with data set from text file

I have a .kml file. So I want filter the .kml to get only the tags that have this numeric codes that they are in a text file 11951 11952 74014 11964 11965 11969 11970 11971 11972 60149 74018 74023 86378 11976 11980 11983 11984 11987 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcoj33
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unexpected Behaviour from grepping Text File

Hi! I recently downloaded a wordlist file called 2of12.txt, which is a wordlist of common words, part of the 12dicts package. I've been getting unexpected results from grepping it, such as getting no matches when clearly there ought to be, or returns that are simply wrong. Par exemple: egrep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text from one file in another file

Hello, I have a file with a large number of words each listed in sequential order one word per line. I want to search these words in another file which has the structure Both the files are large, but the words in the sourcefile are all available in the target file. I tried to grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping data using awk

Hello, I have a data in file 1 2000000024776 2000000026979 2000000033355 2000000036309 2000000041291 2000000042679 2000000067221 and in file 2 its like this 2000000024776 16 2000000026979 16 2000000033355 16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the data between 2 date ranges

Hi There, Good Day !! I have txt file containing data in the below format. There are many lines, here i have mentioned for example. cat remo.txt 2/3/2017 file1 3/4/2016 file2 6/6/2015 file5 1/1/2018 file3 4/3/2014 file4 - - - I need to grep the file names for given date rage... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
11 Replies
locate(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    locate(1)

NAME
locate - find files by name SYNOPSIS
locate [OPTION]... PATTERN... DESCRIPTION
locate reads one or more databases prepared by updatedb(8) and writes file names matching at least one of the PATTERNs to standard output, one per line. If --regex is not specified, PATTERNs can contain globbing characters. If any PATTERN contains no globbing characters, locate behaves as if the pattern were *PATTERN*. By default, locate does not check whether files found in database still exist (but it does require all parent directories to exist if the database was built with --require-visibility no). locate can never report files created after the most recent update of the relevant data- base. EXIT STATUS
locate exits with status 0 if any match was found or if locate was invoked with one of the --limit 0, --help, --statistics or --version options. If no match was found or a fatal error was encountered, locate exits with status 1. Errors encountered while reading a database are not fatal, search continues in other specified databases, if any. OPTIONS
-A, --all Print only entries that match all PATTERNs instead of requiring only one of them to match. -b, --basename Match only the base name against the specified patterns. This is the opposite of --wholename. -c, --count Instead of writing file names on standard output, write the number of matching entries only. -d, --database DBPATH Replace the default database with DBPATH. DBPATH is a :-separated list of database file names. If more than one --database option is specified, the resulting path is a concatenation of the separate paths. An empty database file name is replaced by the default database. A database file name - refers to the standard input. Note that a database can be read from the standard input only once. -e, --existing Print only entries that refer to files existing at the time locate is run. -L, --follow When checking whether files exist (if the --existing option is specified), follow trailing symbolic links. This causes broken sym- bolic links to be omitted from the output. This is the default behavior. The opposite can be specified using --nofollow. -h, --help Write a summary of the available options to standard output and exit successfully. -i, --ignore-case Ignore case distinctions when matching patterns. -p, --ignore-spaces Ignore punctuation and spaces when matching patterns. -t, --transliterate Ignore accents using iconv transliteration when matching patterns. -l, --limit, -n LIMIT Exit successfully after finding LIMIT entries. If the --count option is specified, the resulting count is also limited to LIMIT. -m, --mmap Ignored, for compatibility with BSD and GNU locate. -P, --nofollow, -H When checking whether files exist (if the --existing option is specified), do not follow trailing symbolic links. This causes bro- ken symbolic links to be reported like other files. This is the opposite of --follow. -0, --null Separate the entries on output using the ASCII NUL character instead of writing each entry on a separate line. This option is designed for interoperability with the --null option of GNU xargs(1). -S, --statistics Write statistics about each read database to standard output instead of searching for files and exit successfully. -q, --quiet Write no messages about errors encountered while reading and processing databases. -r, --regexp REGEXP Search for a basic regexp REGEXP. No PATTERNs are allowed if this option is used, but this option can be specified multiple times. --regex Interpret all PATTERNs as extended regexps. -s, --stdio Ignored, for compatibility with BSD and GNU locate. -V, --version Write information about the version and license of locate on standard output and exit successfully. -w, --wholename Match only the whole path name against the specified patterns. This is the default behavior. The opposite can be specified using --basename. EXAMPLES
To search for a file named exactly NAME (not *NAME*), use locate -b 'NAME' Because is a globbing character, this disables the implicit replacement of NAME by *NAME*. FILES
/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db The database searched by default. ENVIRONMENT
LOCATE_PATH Path to additional databases, added after the default database or the databases specified using the --database option. NOTES
The order in which the requested databases are processed is unspecified, which allows locate to reorder the database path for security rea- sons. locate attempts to be compatible to slocate (without the options used for creating databases) and GNU locate, in that order. This is the reason for the impractical default --follow option and for the confusing set of --regex and --regexp options. The short spelling of the -r option is incompatible to GNU locate, where it corresponds to the --regex option. Use the long option names to avoid confusion. The LOCATE_PATH environment variable replaces the default database in BSD and GNU locate, but it is added to other databases in this imple- mentation and slocate. AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
updatedb(8), iconv(1), mlocate Sep 2012 locate(1)