Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Process on CPU inside syscall Post 302696849 by sant on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 02:12:08 PM
Old 09-05-2012
Thank you Jim for your answer.
However I am confused.

Could you please review this thread and give your comment?
https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-ex...s-preempt.html

1. When a process(thread) is entering in syscall (times for example) this process(thread) is considered as "blocked" and column "b" in vmstat will be increased or not?
2. If not then when a process is considered as blocked?
3. Or a process is blocked only when it is waiting for something, as an example when it is waiting response from disk.
4. if a process has nothing to do then his state in prstat is "sleeping", right? If a process is inside syscall reading data from disk, "pread" for example, and this process is waiting now when real hard storage will return data then the state of the process is also sleeping, is it right?

Last edited by sant; 09-05-2012 at 03:27 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process -> 1 cpu

Is there a way I can assign processes to different processors? I know in windows xp you can set process affinity, and wondered if there is a *nix equivelant. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solitare
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process not using enough cpu

I am running solaris 9 on a SUn 480r. It is running SAS statistical software, these processes in full flow normally run at about 50-60% cpu (theres nothing else really running on the box) this is fine, and the SAS jobs get run nice and quick. However over the last few weeks everytime a SAS job is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to find which process is using up too much CPU

Hi, I need to find which processes are hogging the cpu up. please advise. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

4. AIX

CPU usage of a process

I'm trying to monitor the CPU usage of a process and output that value to a file or variable. I know topas or nmon can tell me this in interactive mode but what I need is topas-looking output that allows me to write to a file after a discrete interval. Unlike nmon data collection to a file on top... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robot23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

100% cpu process

hi guys you know we got an issue and my support line is linux I need to make sure my linux is OK...now the issue I have this process db2sysc reaching 10% CPU utilization yeah that's a DB2 process my DB guys wants to make sure linux is not the culprit but I have no idea the situation is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Process by CPU

Hello All, I am preparing a script to capture the processes consuming more CPU. So is there any way that i can sort & redirect to file only those processes consuming more than 5.0 % using ps command itself. Regards Ankit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

CPU and memory utilization of a process, by process name

Can someone please help me with a script that will help in identifying the CPU & memory usage by a process name, rather than a process id.This is to primarily analyze the consumption of resources, for performance tweaking. G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If a process cpu % is higer than

Is this possible as part of a bigger script to do? eg: elif myprocess.bin cpu% > 12 exit 1 elif is there a command for this? thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilboNIX
9 Replies
SYSCALL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYSCALL(2)

NAME
syscall - indirect system call SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/syscall.h> /* For SYS_xxx definitions */ int syscall(int number, ...); DESCRIPTION
syscall() is a small library function that invokes the system call whose assembly language interface has the specified number with the specified arguments. Employing syscall() is useful, for example, when invoking a system call that has no wrapper function in the C library. syscall() saves CPU registers before making the system call, restores the registers upon return from the system call, and stores any error code returned by the system call in errno(3) if an error occurs. Symbolic constants for system call numbers can be found in the header file <sys/syscall.h>. RETURN VALUE
The return value is defined by the system call being invoked. In general, a 0 return value indicates success. A -1 return value indicates an error, and an error code is stored in errno. NOTES
syscall() first appeared in 4BSD. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/syscall.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { pid_t tid; tid = syscall(SYS_gettid); tid = syscall(SYS_tgkill, getpid(), tid); } SEE ALSO
_syscall(2), intro(2), syscalls(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-14 SYSCALL(2)