Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number substitution with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number substitution with sed Post 302696785 by msabhi on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 11:43:06 AM
Old 09-05-2012
Code:
$ echo 'abc=123
abc=1234
xyzabc=123&fghij=555&abc=123 abc=234' | sed 's/\b123\b/999/g'
Output:
abc=999
abc=1234
xyzabc=999&fghij=555&abc=999 abc=234

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution using sed

I know we can substitute a string using sed but how? For example: sed 's/(old variable)/(new variable)/ details.dat Am I suppose to put $old variable or whatever? Because I tried many times, it didnt work by putting $old variable. Am I suppose to enclose it with "" or ''? Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

Hi, I have a set of files containing strings like I.TEST1_TEST2 or B.ESSA_ESSB for example. Does somebody know how to substitute these strings whith the same name and an extension "_V1" (ie. I.TEST1_TEST2_V1) using sed command or else ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Using sed I'm trying to replace 'string' with ']' while retaining case and ignoring words with 'string' in it along with additional characters like 'strings' and those which already contain the ] wrapper. I'm hoping to do it with sed and the right expression, if possible. Example: Apple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom.lee
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed substitution

I'm a noob to unix, and I have a line of data like the following: title=Boston|tcolor=green|desc=Large city in New England|url=www.boston.com Is there a way to change a field value with sed substitution? (i.e. change tcolor=green to tcolor=blue) I figured out: sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: stabby
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hello, I have two files. File1 is normal txt file and File2 contains list of line numbers. e.g. File2: 3 6 9 ..... I need to replace a character in File1 in lines (taken from File2). For that I am using a "for" loop: for i in $(cat File2) do sed "$i s/Y/N/" File1 done but my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

How can you use sed with a line of code that reads: 67899:Bill:Williams:Maple Dr.:45908600 Let us say we want to replace Maple Dr. with Oak St. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi everyone, I need very simple sed command to change a parameter in a text file. I have a line in this text which is like set xx 0.5 A program reads this file and does some algebraic calculations. So to make a parameter scan I need to change the value of xx. I thought I can do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
7 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)