Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to evaluate expressions in file Post 302696747 by Corona688 on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 11:09:40 AM
Old 09-05-2012
You have yourself a shell script there. The best thing for evaluating a shell script is usually a shell.

Then you can just echo all the variables back out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep where expressions reside in file

I have a program that displays many messages on stdout. I have another file that contain error messages only - Each line is a separate message. (msgs.txt) I am trying to show only the errors and not all the output. I tried this but got nothing: myprog | grep < msgs.txt I also tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value read from a file?

Hi, Could someone please help me with how to do the following? Say I have a flat file test.lst and the content of the file is: Report Date - `date '+%m%d%Y'` I'm trying the following while read myLine do echo ${myLine} done<test.lst This prints Report Date - `date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunsoman80
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate the value of a variable?

I have variables: FOO="Text" BAR="FOO" I'd like to be able to evaluate the variable named as the value of $BAR. echo $FOO Text echo $BAR FOO This is what I'd like to do: echo ${$BAR} (this won't work) Text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut file using regular expressions

I have a file with approximately 262,000 fields and I want to split it according to pairs of fields. The fields have headers and I want to create smaller files with just the columns between the fields (specified fields inclusive). For example, I just want the columns "set" and "test", with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: etownbetty
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output section of file between two expressions multiple times

Attached is the exact ouput of a vmware VDR log file I am working with but what I am trying to achieve is as follows: I need to output sections of the file using the string "Normal backup" as the start and "Duration" as the end to seperate files so I can then manipulate them further to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to evaluate the value of a variable ?

How to evaluate the value of a variable ? For example: a=var $a=value !!!error happens!!! I want to evaluate var=value, how to realize it? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 AM ---------- I am using linux bash. a=var $a=value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a flat file, evaluate and create output. UNIX SCRIPT.

Hi all, I have a flat file as below; 470423495|1||TSA-A000073800||1|||1 471423495|1||TSA-A000073800||5|||5 472423495|1||TSA-A000073800||2|||7 473423495|1||TSA-A000073800||3|||3 I like to create a Unix script. The script have to valuate the last two columns, if the values are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract expressions between two strings in html file

Hello guys, I'm trying to extract all the expressions between the following tags: <b></b> from a HTML file. This is how it looks: big lines containing several dozens expressions (made of 1,2,3,4,6 or even 7 words) I would like to extract: <b>bla ble</b>bla ble</td><tr valign="top"><td... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does ||: evaluate?

In BASH, how does ||: get interpreted. I know || is logical or. And I believe : evaluates to true. Can someone give a thorough explanation for this usage? Example for i in $IGGY do && skipdb=1 || : (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file and evaluate its internal variables

Hi I have been trying to figure a way to copy a file, (a template), that has internal variables. Using the values as defined for those variables in another script. So a file called x - #! /bin/bash D=aa.$X.bb And file y #! /bin/bash X=6 while read line do eval echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
5 Replies
Tcl_ExprLong(3) 					      Tcl Library Procedures						   Tcl_ExprLong(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_ExprLong, Tcl_ExprDouble, Tcl_ExprBoolean, Tcl_ExprString - evaluate an expression SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_ExprLong(interp, expr, longPtr) int Tcl_ExprDouble(interp, expr, doublePtr) int Tcl_ExprBoolean(interp, expr, booleanPtr) int Tcl_ExprString(interp, expr) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in whose context to evaluate expr. const char *expr (in) Expression to be evaluated. long *longPtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store the integer value of the expression. int *doublePtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store the floating-point value of the expression. int *booleanPtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store the 0/1 boolean value of the expression. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These four procedures all evaluate the expression given by the expr argument and return the result in one of four different forms. The expression can have any of the forms accepted by the expr command. Note that these procedures have been largely replaced by the object- based procedures Tcl_ExprLongObj, Tcl_ExprDoubleObj, Tcl_ExprBooleanObj, and Tcl_ExprObj. Those object-based procedures evaluate an expression held in a Tcl object instead of a string. The object argument can retain an internal representation that is more efficient to execute. The interp argument refers to an interpreter used to evaluate the expression (e.g. for variables and nested Tcl commands) and to return error information. For all of these procedures the return value is a standard Tcl result: TCL_OK means the expression was successfully evaluated, and TCL_ERROR means that an error occurred while evaluating the expression. If TCL_ERROR is returned then the interpreter's result will hold a message describing the error. If an error occurs while executing a Tcl command embedded in the expression then that error will be returned. If the expression is successfully evaluated, then its value is returned in one of four forms, depending on which procedure is invoked. Tcl_ExprLong stores an integer value at *longPtr. If the expression's actual value is a floating-point number, then it is truncated to an integer. If the expression's actual value is a non-numeric string then an error is returned. Tcl_ExprDouble stores a floating-point value at *doublePtr. If the expression's actual value is an integer, it is converted to floating- point. If the expression's actual value is a non-numeric string then an error is returned. Tcl_ExprBoolean stores a 0/1 integer value at *booleanPtr. If the expression's actual value is an integer or floating-point number, then they store 0 at *booleanPtr if the value was zero and 1 otherwise. If the expression's actual value is a non-numeric string then it must be one of the values accepted by Tcl_GetBoolean such as "yes" or "no", or else an error occurs. Tcl_ExprString returns the value of the expression as a string stored in the interpreter's result. SEE ALSO
Tcl_ExprLongObj, Tcl_ExprDoubleObj, Tcl_ExprBooleanObj, Tcl_ExprObj KEYWORDS
boolean, double, evaluate, expression, integer, object, string Tcl 7.0 Tcl_ExprLong(3)