Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to cut based on a string
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to cut based on a string Post 302696743 by gvc on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 11:06:27 AM
Old 09-05-2012
how to cut based on a string

Hi I have some data where each line will look something like this:

Code:
Time, name, i.d number, RB: 0.9949; RMQA: 0.0005; RB: 0.9951; RRA: 0.3; RA: 0.995; RA: 0.996; EA: 0.99105

etc.

I want to cut out all the RB: and RA:'s with the numbers after.

so in the above example i'd be left with:

Code:
RB: 0.9949; RB: 0.9951; RA: 0.995; RA: 0.996

theres about 50 odd lines like this so I want to loop over them all.

Currently I'm trying

Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS = "R[A|B]:" } { for (i=2; i <=NF; i++) printf "%s\n", $i }'

but its not working.

If possible I'd also like to include the time at the beginning of each line, which is in the format hh.mm.ss.000

I am a beginner to UNIX and do not have that much knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by gvc; 09-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut a Variable into sub variables based on a delimiter

Hello All, I am novice on Shell Scripting. Any help on this is highly appreciated. I have a variable $VARIABLE="$some1|$some2|$some3" I need sub variables $SUBVAR1,$SUBVAR2,$SUBVAR3 which must be equal to $some1 , $some2 and $some3 respectively. It works fine with $SUBVAR1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut based on Two Delimiters at one go

Hi I wanted to cut the feilds comming after % and After $ at one go can we do some thing like this cut -f 2 -d "%|$" (But it doesnot work) Input File BWPG %TCPRP1 $SCSPR000 BWPH %TCPRP1 $SCSPR003 BWPI %TRTYUP ResourceDescription="IMPRIMANTE " $BWOPTY BWPJ %ZOMBIE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cut and append the file based on id

Hi, I have a file which have set of rows and has to create separate files based on the id. Eg: 001_AHaris020 001_ATony030 002_AChris090 002_ASmit060 003_AJhon001 Output: I want three files like 001_A.txt, 002_A.txt and 003_A.txt. 001_A.txt should have ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk cut column based on string

Using awk I required to cut out column contain word "-Tag" regardles of any order of contents and case INsensitive -Tag:messages -P:/var/log/messages -P:/var/log/maillog -K:Error -K:Warning -K:critical Please Guide ...... --Shirish Shukla ---------- Post updated at 05:58 AM... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut from tables based on column values

Hello, I have a tab-delimited table that may contain 11,12 or 13 columns. Depending on the number of columns, I want to cut and get a sub table as shown below. However, the awk commands in the code seem to be an issue. What should I be doing differently? #cut columns 1-2,4-5,11 when 12 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut a string based on last index of identifier

here below is sample string null pointer dereference of 'resourceList' where null is returned from a method/opt/bld/fetch/ds/interzone/notification/LocalLineStatusNotificationListener.java:79 null pointer dereference of 'reList' where null is returned from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display/Cut the characters based on match

I have input file like this update tablename set column1='ABC',column2='BBC' where columnx=1 and columny=100 and columnz='10000001' update tablename set column1='ABC',column2='BBC',column3='CBC' where columnx=1 and columny=100 and columnz='10000002' update tablename set column1='ABC' where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut each line based on the character size

Hello All, I have a file which contain below lines. The starting word of each line is call and the end line is semi colon. I need to find the character size of each line and then move it to a file. If the character size is more than 255 then I need to push that line to a next file and I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoshvaPeter
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)