Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to cut based on a string
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to cut based on a string Post 302696743 by gvc on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 11:06:27 AM
Old 09-05-2012
how to cut based on a string

Hi I have some data where each line will look something like this:

Code:
Time, name, i.d number, RB: 0.9949; RMQA: 0.0005; RB: 0.9951; RRA: 0.3; RA: 0.995; RA: 0.996; EA: 0.99105

etc.

I want to cut out all the RB: and RA:'s with the numbers after.

so in the above example i'd be left with:

Code:
RB: 0.9949; RB: 0.9951; RA: 0.995; RA: 0.996

theres about 50 odd lines like this so I want to loop over them all.

Currently I'm trying

Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS = "R[A|B]:" } { for (i=2; i <=NF; i++) printf "%s\n", $i }'

but its not working.

If possible I'd also like to include the time at the beginning of each line, which is in the format hh.mm.ss.000

I am a beginner to UNIX and do not have that much knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by gvc; 09-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut a Variable into sub variables based on a delimiter

Hello All, I am novice on Shell Scripting. Any help on this is highly appreciated. I have a variable $VARIABLE="$some1|$some2|$some3" I need sub variables $SUBVAR1,$SUBVAR2,$SUBVAR3 which must be equal to $some1 , $some2 and $some3 respectively. It works fine with $SUBVAR1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut based on Two Delimiters at one go

Hi I wanted to cut the feilds comming after % and After $ at one go can we do some thing like this cut -f 2 -d "%|$" (But it doesnot work) Input File BWPG %TCPRP1 $SCSPR000 BWPH %TCPRP1 $SCSPR003 BWPI %TRTYUP ResourceDescription="IMPRIMANTE " $BWOPTY BWPJ %ZOMBIE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cut and append the file based on id

Hi, I have a file which have set of rows and has to create separate files based on the id. Eg: 001_AHaris020 001_ATony030 002_AChris090 002_ASmit060 003_AJhon001 Output: I want three files like 001_A.txt, 002_A.txt and 003_A.txt. 001_A.txt should have ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

awk cut column based on string

Using awk I required to cut out column contain word "-Tag" regardles of any order of contents and case INsensitive -Tag:messages -P:/var/log/messages -P:/var/log/maillog -K:Error -K:Warning -K:critical Please Guide ...... --Shirish Shukla ---------- Post updated at 05:58 AM... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut from tables based on column values

Hello, I have a tab-delimited table that may contain 11,12 or 13 columns. Depending on the number of columns, I want to cut and get a sub table as shown below. However, the awk commands in the code seem to be an issue. What should I be doing differently? #cut columns 1-2,4-5,11 when 12 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut a string based on last index of identifier

here below is sample string null pointer dereference of 'resourceList' where null is returned from a method/opt/bld/fetch/ds/interzone/notification/LocalLineStatusNotificationListener.java:79 null pointer dereference of 'reList' where null is returned from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display/Cut the characters based on match

I have input file like this update tablename set column1='ABC',column2='BBC' where columnx=1 and columny=100 and columnz='10000001' update tablename set column1='ABC',column2='BBC',column3='CBC' where columnx=1 and columny=100 and columnz='10000002' update tablename set column1='ABC' where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut each line based on the character size

Hello All, I have a file which contain below lines. The starting word of each line is call and the end line is semi colon. I need to find the character size of each line and then move it to a file. If the character size is more than 255 then I need to push that line to a next file and I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoshvaPeter
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)