Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Questions on removing unexpected line breaks Post 302696357 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 12:28:15 AM
Old 09-05-2012
To remove the line break in awk if the number of fields (NF) are less than 4, you could for example do this:
Code:
awk -F\| 'NF<4{getline p; $0=$0 FS p}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing line breaks from a shell variable

Here is my snippet of code... getDescription() { DESCRIPTION=$(dbaccess dncsdb - << ! 2>/dev/null|sed -e 's/hctt_description//' -e '/^$/ d'|tr -d '\r' select hct_type.hctt_description from hct_type,hct_profile where hct_type.hctt_id=hct_profile.hctt_id and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

any better way to remove line breaks

Hi, I got some log files which print the whole xml message in separate lines: e.g. 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO do something 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO print xml : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <a> <b>my data</b> </a> 2008-10-01 14:21:44,563 INFO do something again I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csmklee
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with wc and line breaks

Hi everyone, I have gone through the forum trying to find an answer to this question but was unsuccessful. I am hoping that someone can help me with this please. I am trying to get my script to recognise line breaks from a file and to give me a result for wc of each line. So basically, if you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stargazerr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line breaks after a match

I need to remove all line breaks in a document after a match, until there is a blank line. Example below, after the match "THE GREEN TABLE" remove line breaks until a blank line. Then, after the match "THE BLUE TABLE" do the same. Before: THE GREEN TABLE Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
14 Replies

5. Programming

Clean and keep line breaks

Hello, I want to keep line spaces in comments but clean more then 2 after each. Example: $sentence="This is my first sentence This will be in a new row This will be too in a new row but not separated with 3line breaks just with one "; And i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AimyThomas
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

After using @, line breaks for a particular user in shell

Dear Concern, When we using @ sign, line breaks for a particular user in shell. Please advise how to resolve from the problem in HP UX. tabs@tabsdb02:/ccbs/users/tabs$ cat /etc/passwd|grep tabs tabs:RdCgOsmKee7Ps:221:201::/ccbs/users/tabs:/usr/bin/ksh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

9. Linux

Line breaks in mail spool

Hi, I have an issue with the line breaks in the mail spool- /var/mail/user1. I have set up a script to go through the mail spool on one of the users and parse some parts of the mail, however there doesn't seem to exist the regular line endings CR, LF or both in the lines and this is breaking my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: night_watcher
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing line breaks inside a field

Hi all, I have a csv input file with total 60 fields and the fields are not enclosed with double quotes.One of the field(50th field) in this file has line breaks in it which results in the row getting split into multiple lines.This is causing my load(to table) to fail.I tried to enforce double... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby_2000
3 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)