Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How the free mem thresold on the server is determined Post 302696257 by Corona688 on Tuesday 4th of September 2012 01:29:33 PM
Old 09-04-2012
I notice you're not using most of your swap; so I don't think most of that 63 gigs has been leaked or anything. I don't see how much cache you have from that, but suspect a pretty good chunk is cache.

It's kind of random, and determined by disk access. When a process explicitly frees memory or quits, the memory it used goes back into the free pool. If you read from a spot on disk that hasn't been cached, enough free memory is converted to cache memory to cache it. So it's the rate your processes are allocating and freeing memory, versus the rate you're asking for things on disk that haven't been cached lately.

Since cache memory is as good as free memory -- the OS will give it up at need -- there's nothing wrong with that. Just the OS hedging its bets in case it will be handy later. Memory that sits around doing nothing is useless anyway.

Some systems allow you to configure how much memory should be allowed to become cache and the like, but the same system still underlies it.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-04-2012 at 02:34 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How is system load determined?

Hello! I'm wondering what factors are used to determine the "system load" Where can i look to get more information on this? Patrick (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Patrick_Morris
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free NFS server!?

Hi, I installed an software called Xlink NFS server, it works perfectly when i like to share Windows folders to my UNIX system. But the thing is that this costs money and i wonder if someone know an NFS server that is free, it dosen't have to be as powerful as Xlink i just need to share a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjan2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute oracle query determined at runtime from a unix script

Hi I am trying to run a SQL statement from a unix script determined at runtime. It is throwing me an error. Please advise some solution to this. echo "Enter username for the database" read username echo "Enter password for the database" read password echo "Enter SQL stmt" read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to log free mem and disk space

I'm just learning shell scripting and am new to Unix/Linux. For the past week I've been logging how much free mem is on my server by using the '$ top' command, and the free disk space in a few directories by doing '$ df -h'. It sucks doing that every hour. Can you help me write a script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Extracting data from a determined file

Hi guys, How you doing? Need some help with this .I got a file with this kind of information SURVIVABLE PROCESSORS Name Type IP Address Reg Act Translations Net Updated Rgn Gateway001 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: REX:)
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing only columns containing a determined character with awk

Hello I'm trying to extract two columns from a database using awk, the thing is i have a variable number of columns in each row, and I just need to get out the two first ones ending in "," This is an example: ABE, ABE V149 MAZIE ARD CYN ACY, ACY, , , ,TEC, , 5000, , , 1, ZNY,ZDC ABE, ABE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vir
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need a FTP SERVER Program FREE

I need a FTP SERVER program for using in ubuntu, Do you know any for free? ps: there will be no internet connection so, vsftp will not work. need a tool (like filezilla but filezilla has no server version for unix ubuntu) that has to be installation package to extract in it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: F@NTOM
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Physical and Free mem on TOP command

Hi, When I run the free command on solaris, I get the following: "Memory: 60G phys mem, 69G free mem" Q: how cna the free mem be higher then the physical mem?:confused: Amit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Array name determined at runtime

I'm working on a ksh script and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to access an array by a variable that is determined at runtime? I have created a test example below, but essentially I will have declared and populated an array (see colorArray below). What I'd like to do is access... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bs103950
9 Replies
FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)					       AFS Command Reference						FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)

NAME
fs_setcachesize - Sets the size of the disk cache SYNOPSIS
fs setcachesize [-blocks <size (0 = reset)>>] [-reset] [-help] fs setca [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] fs cachesize [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] fs ca [-b <size (0 = reset)>>] [-r] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs setcachesize command changes the number of kilobyte blocks of local disk space available to the Cache Manager for its data cache, on machines that use a disk cache. The command is not operative on machines that use a memory cache. To return the cache size to the default value specified in the third field of the local /etc/openafs/cacheinfo file, provide a value of 0 to the -blocks argument. To return the cache size to the value set when the machine was last rebooted, use the -reset flag instead of the -blocks argument. This is normally the amount specified in the cacheinfo file, unless the -blocks argument was included on the afsd command to override the cacheinfo value. To display the current cache size and amount of cache in use, for both disk and memory caches, use the fs getcacheparms command. CAUTIONS
This command is not operative on machines using a memory cache, and results in an error message. To change memory cache size, edit the cacheinfo file and reboot, or reboot and provide the -blocks argument to the afsd command. On machines using a disk cache, do not set the cache size to exceed 85% to 90% of the actual disk space available for the cache directory. The cache implementation itself requires a small amount of space on the partition. OPTIONS
-blocks <size> Specifies the amount of disk space available for the Cache Manager to devote to the cache. The size should be a positive integer followed by an optional suffix: "K" for kibibytes (1024 bytes, the default), "M" for mebibytes (1024 kibibytes), "G" for gibibytes (1024 mebibytes), and "T" for tebibytes (1024 gibibytes). Provide a value of 0 to set cache size to the default specified in the cacheinfo file. -reset Returns the cache size to the value set when the machine was last booted. This agrees with the value in the cacheinfo file unless the -blocks argument was used on the afsd command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command sets the disk cache size to 25000 kilobyte blocks. % fs setcachesize -blocks 25000 Both of the following commands reset the disk cache size to the value in the cacheinfo file, assuming that the -blocks argument to the afsd command was not used. % fs setcachesize -blocks 0 % fs setcachesize -reset PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
cacheinfo(5), afsd(8), fs_getcacheparms(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_SETCACHESIZE(1)