Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with test syntax in script Post 302696239 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 4th of September 2012 01:01:44 PM
Old 09-04-2012
` is not the same as '

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with script and syntax error message

Hi I have the following script and have problem debugging the problems. The function of this script is to make sure the entire file is being received (the filesize of a data is not changing after 20 seconds) and start moving the file to another directory. This script should be started every 30mins.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in shell test: unknown operator

Hi All, can some one figure out the syntax issue here. How to overcome this? #!/bin/sh $ HFR_MAIL=NO $ PRP_MAIL=NO $ MC_MAIL=NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO " > else > echo "YES" > fi test: unknown operator NO $ if && && ]; then > echo "NO" > else > echo "YES" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error for if statment test expression

Hi what's the correct way of writing if 1)if "$time_diff" -gt 5 then echo "killing hung process \n" fi 2)if test $time_diff -gt 5 then echo "killing hung process \n" fi where -time_diff=$(($Sam - $current_min)) and current_min=`date +%M` infact both are giving Syntax... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anteus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

K script not running / syntax problem

Hi, I have following K script, that is in rc0.d directory to be run on shutdown. It's linked using the 'ln' command to init.d.Can anyone tell me as to why it's not running, or if i have incorrect syntax?I get: "test: argument expected type=uname -p + " When running it with sh -x ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: darrlaw
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax for IF test or AWK for octal

Using korn shell. I am reading a file line by line. If a record has a carriage return (octal 015) then I append the second record to the first record. Not all records have a carriage return. I have the unix shell script working with grep, but when my file has +100,000 records it runs slow. I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test shell script (PROBLEM)

Dears , kindly I wanna do test for one KSH script to know how is it working , the problem that I'm facing is whenever put "sh -x ./my_script.sh" the output seems very long & although I tried to to redirect it to files as it shown , but it failed :eek: :- sh -x ./my_script.sh >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)