Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory distributed filesystem over internet/VPN Post 302696103 by Domino on Tuesday 4th of September 2012 09:51:46 AM
Old 09-04-2012
distributed filesystem over internet/VPN

On this forum was already posted similar question, but it was 4 years ago and didn't give me answers.

I have two groups of engineers that works in far locations connected via VPN. Physically, the connection is a DSL. Currently we have a linux server in one location that provide files over SMB/CIFS. Thus live of people in the second location is a nightmare.

I can change a lot on the server, but one thing must remain. Workstation need to access files using standard windows mechanisms (SMB/CIFS). No extra software (drivers, clients etc).

To solve it, I want to install second server in the second location and use a distributed filessystem that mainly works in replication mode. Files on both servers will be redistributed by samba in the local network.

There is a great list of distributed filesystems on wikipedia.

The most advanced seams to be lustre. But I have some doubts if it will work for me. Lustre is dedicated to a true cluster with a high speed connection (10GigE or special hardware like RDMA). It also stripe space from all nodes, while I rather want to have replication/mirroring.

XtreemFS seams to be more adequate to me. At least from functional site. But it seams that it is JAVA based solution... I'm very afraid for the performance. There is also some limitation for read/write replication.

GlusterFS: according to some blog this filesystem is not good choice for high-latency connection like DSL. (sorry, forum disallow me to publish valid link, add http prefix: joejulian.name/blog/glusterfs-replication-dos-and-donts/)

What is your recommendation?
Had anyone similar problem?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices. I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Internet connection single interface through vpn

Hi. Can you please help me with a routing problem? There are 2 networks: 192.168.10.0/24 (eth0) 192.168.11.0/24 (eth0:1) The default gateway is 192.168.10.1 iPv4 routing is already enabled and working. With vpnc I've built up an VPN connection and can access my home network... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tschmi
0 Replies
QUOT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   QUOT(8)

NAME
quot - summarize filesystem ownership SYNOPSIS
quot [ -acfguvi ] [ filesystem... ] DESCRIPTION
quot displays the number of kilobytes in the named filesystem currently owned by each user or group. Note that this utility currently works only for XFS. OPTIONS
-a Generate a report for all mounted filesystems giving the number of kilobytes used by each user or group. -c Display three columns giving file size in kilobytes, number of files of that size, and cumulative total of kilobytes in that size or smaller file. The last row is used as an overflow bucket and is the total of all files greater than 500 kilobytes. -f Display count of kilobytes and number of files owned by each user or group. -g Report on groups. -u Report on users (the default). -v Display three columns containing the number of kilobytes not accessed in the last 30, 60, and 90 days. -i Ignore mountpoints mounted by automounter. -T Avoid truncation of user names longer than 8 characters. -q Do not sort the output. FILES
/etc/mtab mounted filesystem table /etc/passwd default set of users /etc/group default set of groups SEE ALSO
du(1), ls(1). BUGS
Currently, only the XFS filesystem type is supported. QUOT(8)