Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IPTables Prerouting
Special Forums IP Networking IPTables Prerouting Post 302696053 by ashokvpp on Tuesday 4th of September 2012 08:03:34 AM
Old 09-04-2012
IPTables Prerouting

Hi ,

My route looks like below:
Code:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.253   192.168.1.210   255.255.255.255 UGH   0      0        0 eth2
203.6.21.111   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.252 U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth2
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth2
0.0.0.0         203.6.21.112   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Observe LAN 192.168.1.253 which goes via 192.168.1.210

Now here is my prerouting rule

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -d 203.6.21.111 --dport 8001 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.104:80

When I hit url http://
203.6.21.111:8001 - it is not redirecting to mentioned ip and port.. I'm not sure what else am I missing here..

Code:
[root@lead ~]# ping 192.168.1.104
PING 192.168.1.104 (192.168.1.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=2.66 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.725 ms

--- 192.168.1.104 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.725/1.693/2.661/0.968 ms
[root@lead ~]# traceroute 192.168.1.104
traceroute to 192.168.1.104 (192.168.1.104), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  192.168.1.104 (192.168.1.104)  3.060 ms  2.996 ms  2.965 ms

[root@lead ~]# telnet 192.168.1.104 80
Trying 192.168.1.104...
Connected to 192.168.1.104 (192.168.1.104).
Escape character is '^]'.
^]

Thanks
ashok

Last edited by ashokvpp; 09-04-2012 at 10:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

IPtables

Hey guys, I have just started using IP tables and was wondering if anyone could direct me to any good online resources as I am totally new to this. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 182x
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Iptables

Thanks in advance I have to remove ip_tables_name from /proc/net/... i was trying to do so and getting the following error cmd : rm ip_tables_names error : rm: remove regular empty file `ip_tables_names'? y rm: cannot remove `ip_tables_names': Operation not permitted (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeepiit
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Iptables

What should be the iptables rule so that only the subnet 64.61.11.224/255.255.255.248 may access the mysql port 3306 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

iptables changes

Hello We have one linux machine in the office which happens to be an important firewall. I just know the basics and need to make one change Essentially it is forward mysql traffic to another internal machine. This is the original rule (forward to 192.20.0.17) which is working ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rina5392
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with iptables

Hi, On the IPTABLES, I did iptables --flush. I want to start fresh. Now I only want two things. Allow one ip address to this server. Allow port 443 as incoming from every where. Please advice how to do this. This is what I did so for. iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -s 1.2.3.4 -j ACCEPT... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

iptables NAT prerouting & postrouting

Good morning, I'm a newbie of iptables and as far as I've seen on tutorials on the Internet it seems that both prerouting and postrouting NAT chains are undergone both by a packet that goes from an internal LAN to the Internet and of a one that goes in the opposite direction (from the Internet to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giac85
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with iptables

Hi, I just build a Linux server, I said yes to enable the firewall. I only choose SSH conneciton. When I check the iptables. I see all of this (see below). I want to reject every thing only allow SSH from subnet 192.168.1.xx. Can you advise, how to do. Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Help with iptables

photo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Debugging NAT / prerouting issues (iptables)

Hello, Recently I discovered an issue with packet routing in the latest Android releases (4.4+ KitKat & Lollipop). It seems that the problem Android specific, but essentially it comes from the Linux kernel. I already filed a bug report to Google. You can see the details by searching for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vladislav
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

iptables

Hi I need help with an iptables configuration, this is what I have server A Server B A and B are using different gateways i am sending port 22 from A to B, I see the packages coming in B but B is not sending the package to internet. please give me some examples. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmartinez073
0 Replies
ROUTE(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  ROUTE(8)

NAME
route - show / manipulate the IP routing table SYNOPSIS
route [-CFvnee] route [-v] [-A family] add [-net|-host] target [netmask Nm] [gw Gw] [metric N] [mss M] [window W] [irtt I] [reject] [mod] [dyn] [rein- state] [[dev] If] route [-v] [-A family] del [-net|-host] target [gw Gw] [netmask Nm] [metric N] [[dev] If] route [-V] [--version] [-h] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Route manipulates the kernel's IP routing tables. Its primary use is to set up static routes to specific hosts or networks via an inter- face after it has been configured with the ifconfig(8) program. When the add or del options are used, route modifies the routing tables. Without these options, route displays the current contents of the routing tables. OPTIONS
-A family use the specified address family (eg `inet'; use `route --help' for a full list). -F operate on the kernel's FIB (Forwarding Information Base) routing table. This is the default. -C operate on the kernel's routing cache. -v select verbose operation. -n show numerical addresses instead of trying to determine symbolic host names. This is useful if you are trying to determine why the route to your nameserver has vanished. -e use netstat(8)-format for displaying the routing table. -ee will generate a very long line with all parameters from the routing ta- ble. del delete a route. add add a new route. target the destination network or host. You can provide IP addresses in dotted decimal or host/network names. -net the target is a network. -host the target is a host. netmask NM when adding a network route, the netmask to be used. gw GW route packets via a gateway. NOTE: The specified gateway must be reachable first. This usually means that you have to set up a static route to the gateway beforehand. If you specify the address of one of your local interfaces, it will be used to decide about the interface to which the packets should be routed to. This is a BSDism compatibility hack. metric M set the metric field in the routing table (used by routing daemons) to M. mss M set the TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS) for connections over this route to M bytes. The default is the device MTU minus headers, or a lower MTU when path mtu discovery occured. This setting can be used to force smaller TCP packets on the other end when path mtu discovery does not work (usually because of misconfigured firewalls that block ICMP Fragmentation Needed) window W set the TCP window size for connections over this route to W bytes. This is typically only used on AX.25 networks and with drivers unable to handle back to back frames. irtt I set the initial round trip time (irtt) for TCP connections over this route to I milliseconds (1-12000). This is typically only used on AX.25 networks. If omitted the RFC 1122 default of 300ms is used. reject install a blocking route, which will force a route lookup to fail. This is for example used to mask out networks before using the default route. This is NOT for firewalling. mod, dyn, reinstate install a dynamic or modified route. These flags are for diagnostic purposes, and are generally only set by routing daemons. dev If force the route to be associated with the specified device, as the kernel will otherwise try to determine the device on its own (by checking already existing routes and device specifications, and where the route is added to). In most normal networks you won't need this. If dev If is the last option on the command line, the word dev may be omitted, as it's the default. Otherwise the order of the route modifiers (metric - netmask - gw - dev) doesn't matter. EXAMPLES
route add -net 127.0.0.0 adds the normal loopback entry, using netmask 255.0.0.0 (class A net, determined from the destination address) and associated with the "lo" device (assuming this device was prviously set up correctly with ifconfig(8)). route add -net 192.56.76.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0 adds a route to the network 192.56.76.x via "eth0". The Class C netmask modifier is not really necessary here because 192.* is a Class C IP address. The word "dev" can be omitted here. route add default gw mango-gw adds a default route (which will be used if no other route matches). All packets using this route will be gatewayed through "mango- gw". The device which will actually be used for that route depends on how we can reach "mango-gw" - the static route to "mango-gw" will have to be set up before. route add ipx4 sl0 Adds the route to the "ipx4" host via the SLIP interface (assuming that "ipx4" is the SLIP host). route add -net 192.57.66.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw ipx4 This command adds the net "192.57.66.x" to be gatewayed through the former route to the SLIP interface. route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0 This is an obscure one documented so people know how to do it. This sets all of the class D (multicast) IP routes to go via "eth0". This is the correct normal configuration line with a multicasting kernel. route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 reject This installs a rejecting route for the private network "10.x.x.x." OUTPUT
The output of the kernel routing table is organized in the following columns Destination The destination network or destination host. Gateway The gateway address or '*' if none set. Genmask The netmask for the destination net; '255.255.255.255' for a host destination and '0.0.0.0' for the default route. Flags Possible flags include U (route is up) H (target is a host) G (use gateway) R (reinstate route for dynamic routing) D (dynamically installed by daemon or redirect) M (modified from routing daemon or redirect) A (installed by addrconf) C (cache entry) ! (reject route) Metric The 'distance' to the target (usually counted in hops). It is not used by recent kernels, but may be needed by routing daemons. Ref Number of references to this route. (Not used in the Linux kernel.) Use Count of lookups for the route. Depending on the use of -F and -C this will be either route cache misses (-F) or hits (-C). Iface Interface to which packets for this route will be sent. MSS Default maximum segement size for TCP connections over this route. Window Default window size for TCP connections over this route. irtt Initial RTT (Round Trip Time). The kernel uses this to guess about the best TCP protocol parameters without waiting on (possibly slow) answers. HH (cached only) The number of ARP entries and cached routes that refer to the hardware header cache for the cached route. This will be -1 if a hard- ware address is not needed for the interface of the cached route (e.g. lo). Arp (cached only) Whether or not the hardware address for the cached route is up to date. FILES
/proc/net/ipv6_route /proc/net/route /proc/net/rt_cache SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), netstat(8), arp(8), rarp(8) HISTORY
Route for Linux was originally written by Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> and then modified by Johannes Stille and Linus Torvalds for pl15. Alan Cox added the mss and window options for Linux 1.1.22. irtt support and merged with netstat from Bernd Eckenfels. AUTHOR
Currently maintained by Phil Blundell <Philip.Blundell@pobox.com>. net-tools 2 January 2000 ROUTE(8)