Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variables in perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables in perl Post 302695765 by P3rl on Monday 3rd of September 2012 07:33:40 PM
Old 09-03-2012
Variables in perl

I don't fully understand variables in perl.

If we have a variable defined like this "my $number = 1" then this is called a lexical variable? But if you define this at the top of a script then why isn't it a global variable because it would be available throughout the file?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question to ask but I'm getting myself confused.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl global variables

Can someone give me "the lecture" on why you shouldn't make all your varables global when programming in perl. I have been doing this but I have heard that it is not a good practice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: parsing variables

I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/perl -w @files = <*.csv>; foreach $file (@files) { open(FH, $file); my @dt = split(/_|.csv/, $file); while (<FH>) { chomp; print $dt . $dt . ",$_\n"; } close(FH); } This script reads in all csv files in the current directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

System variables in Perl

Hi I'm new to Perl and the forum. I've done a quick search on my question but I didn't see an answer. I sincerely apologize if this question has been asked. I'm trying to have my perl scrip recognize system variable $USER such that: my $test_path = "/temp/\$USER/g03/Gau-11097.EIn"; open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhbamboo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use the same perl script with several different variables

I'm new to perl and have to create these files for my job. I have a script that I can run that will create the file, but I have to manually pass the variables to it. It is dumb and it takes a lot of time. I want to be able to pass the existing perl script a set of variables (the same variables... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartin114
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loading variables - Perl

I'm trying to load a set of variables as defined by a local configuration file. Not too sure what I'm missing so I'll just post it as a whole. blub.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $config_file="blub.config"; Config_Loader(); sub Config_Loader {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl sorting variables

Good morning!! Im trying to practice withe Perl and sorting variables is not going good at all! #!/usr/bin/perl $username = $ENV {'LOGNAME'}; print "Hello, $username\n"; I want to add sort and 'mail' and 'home'. This below is what I have came up with,but of course its not working. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables in perl not working

sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ echo $F2 1327332411 this works ---------- sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ perl -MPOSIX -le 'print strftime ("%m%d%y",localtime (1327332411))' 012312 <<<< correct date this doesnt ----------- sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ perl -MPOSIX -le 'print strftime ("%m%d%y",localtime... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Global variables in perl

hi all, i need a help for the following query. Thanks in advance for your valuable time. i have a main.pl file which has a global variable declared as below. our myVar=0; call first.pl script from the main.pl script. print the value of myVar (the value is still 0 and not 10.) i have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemalathak10
1 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
CGI::Compile(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 CGI::Compile(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Compile - Compile .cgi scripts to a code reference like ModPerl::Registry SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Compile; my $sub = CGI::Compile->compile("/path/to/script.cgi"); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Compile is an utility to compile CGI scripts into a code reference that can run many times on its own namespace, as long as the script is ready to run on a persistent environment. NOTE: for best results, load CGI::Compile before any modules used by your CGIs. RUN ON PSGI
Combined with CGI::Emulate::PSGI, your CGI script can be turned into a persistent PSGI application like: use CGI::Emulate::PSGI; use CGI::Compile; my $cgi_script = "/path/to/foo.cgi"; my $sub = CGI::Compile->compile($cgi_script); my $app = CGI::Emulate::PSGI->handler($sub); # $app is a PSGI application CAVEATS
If your CGI script has a subroutine that references the lexical scope variable outside the subroutine, you'll see warnings such as: Variable "$q" is not available at ... Variable "$counter" will not stay shared at ... This is due to the way this module compiles the whole script into a big "sub". To solve this, you have to update your code to pass around the lexical variables, or replace "my" with "our". See also <http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#The_First_Mystery> for more details. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> CONTRIBUTORS
Rafael Kitover <rkitover@cpan.org> Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (c) 2009 Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
ModPerl::RegistryCooker CGI::Emulate::PSGI perl v5.14.2 2011-05-24 CGI::Compile(3pm)