Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Q: Howto compare 2 files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Q: Howto compare 2 files Post 302695755 by Scott on Monday 3rd of September 2012 06:12:04 PM
Old 09-03-2012
Maybe you could try grep -vf file2 file1, or some such.

What kind of "database" does this come from? A relational one? i.e. could you not do select X from Y where X not in (select X from Z)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto Archive Including Hidden Files?

Hi I want to archive the following all the files and directory like listed below: $ ls -a . .. .bash_history .bash_logout .bash_profile .bashrc .emacs .mysql_history public_html .viminfo What I tried is to use the following command $ gtar cvzf allmyfiles.tar.gz * ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkfan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Howto removing files with the same inode

Dear all, # ls -li total 16 2623392 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 512 Apr 10 01:57 10HPA- 8447490 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 Apr 14 05:29 118OQ- 8447490 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 Apr 14 05:29 118OQ-.old 1925572 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 512... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fu4d
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files & get only few columns based on a condition related to both files?

Hiiiii friends I have 2 files which contains huge data & few lines of it are as shown below File1: b.dat(which has 21 columns) SSR 1976 8 12 13 10 44.00 39.0700 70.7800 7.0 0 0.00 0 2.78 0.00 0.00 0 0.00 2.78 0 NULL ISC 1976 8 12 22 32 37.39 36.2942 70.7338... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HowTo translate KSH Scripts to DOS Batch Files ?

Hi there, in near future I have to change my work surrounding from HP UNIX to Windows Vista (great to get rid of old hardware :), but bad to loose UNIX :( ). As I heavily use KSH scripts to do my job, I was wondering, if there is any HowTo available, supporting me in re-writing the scripts to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe-K7
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto monitor a directory for files then sftp them

Morning all I hope I have put this in the correct forum. I have a requirement to monitor a directory on a server for files being sftp'ed in and then to sftp them of to another server. The issues I have though of are making sure the files have completely transferred onto the server before they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltodd2
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only

I have this code awk 'NR==FNR{a=$1;next} a' file1 file2 which does what I need it to do, but for only two files. I want to make it so that I can have multiple files (for example 30) and the code will return only the items that are in every single one of those files and ignore the ones... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto compare the columns of 2 diff tables of 2 different schemas in UNIX shell script

HI All, I am new to Unix shell scripts.. Could you please post the unix shell script for for the below request., There are two different tables(sample1, sample2) in different schemas(s_schema1, s_schema2). Unix shell script to compare the columns of two different tables of two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gopal
2 Replies
LDAP_COMPARE(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   LDAP_COMPARE(3)

NAME
ldap_compare, ldap_compare_s - Perform an LDAP compare operation SYNOPSIS
#include <ldap.h> int ldap_compare_s(ld, dn, attr, value) LDAP *ld; char *dn, *attr, *value; int ldap_compare(ld, dn, attr, value) LDAP *ld; char *dn, *attr, *value; DESCRIPTION
The ldap_compare_s() routine is used to perform an LDAP compare operation synchronously. It takes dn, the DN of the entry upon which to perform the compare, and attr and value, the attribute type and value to compare to those found in the entry. It returns an LDAP error code, which will be LDAP_COMPARE_TRUE if the entry contains the attribute value and LDAP_COMPARE_FALSE if it does not. Otherwise, some error code is returned. The ldap_compare() routine is used to perform an LDAP compare operation asynchronously. It takes the same parameters as ldap_compare_s(), but returns the message id of the request it initiated. The result of the compare can be obtained by a subsequent call to ldap_result(3). ERRORS
ldap_compare_s() returns an LDAP error code which can be interpreted by calling one of ldap_perror(3) and friends. ldap_compare() returns -1 if something went wrong initiating the request. It returns the non-negative message id of the request if things went ok. BUGS
There is no way to compare binary values, but there should be. SEE ALSO
ldap(3), ldap_error(3) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.0.27-Release 22 September 1998 LDAP_COMPARE(3)