Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] weird in find -exec command Post 302695385 by lsy on Monday 3rd of September 2012 02:00:02 AM
Old 09-03-2012
thanks, it works when i change to -name '*test*'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command

Hi I have a little problem with the find command in a script that I'm writing. The script should check if there are some files younger than 100 seconds and then syncronise them with rsync. My find command: find -type f -cmin -100 -exec rsync -a --delete directory1/ directory2/ When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oku
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to use multiple -exec options

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside exec. How do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
find(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   find(1)

Name
       find - find files

Syntax
       find pathname-list  expression

Description
       The  command  recursively  descends the directory hierarchy for each pathname in the pathname-list (that is, one or more pathnames) seeking
       files that match a boolean expression written in the primaries given below.  In the descriptions, the argument n is used as a decimal inte-
       ger where +n means more than n, -n means less than n , and n means exactly n.

Options
       -atime n       Tests true if the file has been accessed in n days.

-cpio output   Writes current file on output in the format (5120-byte records) specified in the reference page.	The output can be either a
		      file or tape device.  If output is a tape device the B key must be used to read data from the tape.

-ctime n       Tests true if the file has been changed in n days.

-depth	      Always true; causes descent of the directory hierarchy to be done so that all entries in a directory are acted on before the
		      directory  itself (that is, postorder instead of preorder).  This can be useful when is used with to transfer files that are
		      contained in directories without write permission.

-exec command  Tests true if specified command returns a 0 on exit.  The end of the command must be punctuated by an escaped semicolon.	 A
		      command argument `{}' is replaced by the current pathname.

-group gname   Tests true if group ID matches specified group name.

-inum n	      Tests true if the file has inode number n.

-links n       Tests true if the file has n links.

-mount	      Tests true if the current file is on the same file system as the current starting pathname.

-mtime n       Tests true if the file has been modified in n days.

-name filename Tests  true  if  the  filename  argument matches the current file name.  Normal Shell argument syntax may be used if escaped
		      (watch out for `[', `?' and `*').

-newer file    Tests true if the current file has been modified more recently than the argument file.

-ok command    Executes specified command on standard output, then standard input is read and command executed only upon response y.

-perm onum     Tests true if file has specified octal number.  For further information, see If onum is prefixed by a minus sign, more  flag
		      bits (017777) become significant and the flags are compared: (flags&onum)==onum.	For further information, see

-print	      Prints current pathname.

-size n	      Tests true if the file is n blocks long (512 bytes per block).

-type c	      Tests  true  if  file is c type ( c = b, block special file: c, character special file: d, directory: f, plain file: l, sym-
		      bolic link: p, type port: s, type socket).

-user uname    Tests true if file owner is login name or numeric user ID.

The primaries may be combined using the following operators (in order of decreasing precedence):

1)  A parenthesized group of primaries and operators (parentheses are special to the Shell and must be escaped).

2)  The negation of a primary (`!' is the unary not operator).

3)  Concatenation of primaries (the and operation is implied by the juxtaposition of two primaries).

4)  Alternation of primaries (`-o' is the or operator).

Examples
       To remove all files named `a.out' or `*.o' that have not been accessed for a week:
       find / ( -name a.out -o -name '*.o' ) 
       -atime +7 -exec rm {} ;

To find all files on the root file system type:
       find / -mount -print

To write all the files on the root file system to tape:
       find / -mount -print -cpio /dev/rmt?h
       cpio -iBvt < /dev/rmt?h

To find all the mount points on the root file system type:
       find / ! -mount -print

Files
See Also
       cpio(1), sh(1), test(1), cpio(5), fs(5)