Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] weird in find -exec command Post 302695225 by Lem on Sunday 2nd of September 2012 05:19:14 AM
Old 09-02-2012
GNU find 4.4.2 on linux works as expected:
Code:
$ find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -type f -exec ls -lrt '{}' \;
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:53 /tmp/test1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:54 /tmp/test2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:53 /tmp/test3

Of course in the command above the ls "-rt" options are meaningless, since ls is run once for every file found. This below is good:

Code:
$ find /tmp/*test* -user `whoami` -type f -exec ls -lrt '{}' +
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:53 /tmp/test3
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:53 /tmp/test1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lem lem 0 2012-09-02 10:54 /tmp/test2

--
Bye

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command

Hi I have a little problem with the find command in a script that I'm writing. The script should check if there are some files younger than 100 seconds and then syncronise them with rsync. My find command: find -type f -cmin -100 -exec rsync -a --delete directory1/ directory2/ When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oku
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to use multiple -exec options

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside exec. How do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
PasswdMD5(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      PasswdMD5(3)

NAME
Crypt::PasswdMD5 - Provides interoperable MD5-based crypt() functions SYNOPSIS
use Crypt::PasswdMD5; $cryptedpassword = unix_md5_crypt($password, $salt); $apachepassword = apache_md5_crypt($password, $salt); DESCRIPTION
the "unix_md5_crypt()" provides a crypt()-compatible interface to the rather new MD5-based crypt() function found in modern operating systems. It's based on the implementation found on FreeBSD 2.2.[56]-RELEASE and contains the following license in it: "THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42): <phk@login.dknet.dk> wrote this file. As long as you retain this notice you can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return. Poul-Henning Kamp "apache_md5_crypt()" provides a function compatible with Apache's ".htpasswd" files. This was contributed by Bryan Hart <bryan@eai.com>. As suggested by William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@lnd.com>, it is exported by default. For both functions, if a salt value is not supplied, a random salt will be generated. Contributed by John Peacock <jpeacock@cpan.org>. EXPORT None by default. HISTORY
$Id: PasswdMD5.pm,v 1.3 2004/02/17 11:21:38 lem Exp $ 19980710 luismunoz@cpan.org: Initial release 19990402 bryan@eai.com: Added apache_md5_crypt to create a valid hash for use in .htpasswd files 20001006 wrowe@lnd.com: Requested apache_md5_crypt to be exported by default. 20010706 luismunoz@cpan.org: Use Digest::MD5 instead of the (obsolete) MD5. $Log: PasswdMD5.pm,v $ Revision 1.3 2004/02/17 11:21:38 lem Modified the POD so that ABSTRACT can work Added usage example for apache_md5_crypt() Revision 1.2 2004/02/17 11:04:35 lem Added patch for random salts from John Peacock (Thanks John!) De-MS-DOS-ified the file Replaced some '' with q// to make Emacs color highlighting happy Added CVS docs Completed the missing sections of the POD documentation Changed my email address to the Perl-related one for consistency The file is now encoded in UTF-8 LICENSE AND WARRANTY
This code and all accompanying software comes with NO WARRANTY. You use it at your own risk. This code and all accompanying software can be used freely under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Luis E. Mun~oz <luismunoz@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 214: Non-ASCII character seen before =encoding in 'Mun~oz'. Assuming UTF-8 perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 PasswdMD5(3)