Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count rows in .dat file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count rows in .dat file Post 302695129 by Deeptanshu on Saturday 1st of September 2012 03:03:16 PM
Old 09-01-2012
Count rows in .dat file

Could you please tell e how to find the total number of rows in a .dat file.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: this is exactly why in "advanced and expert" section?? I transfer this thread to "Unix for Dummies Questions and Answers"

Last edited by bakunin; 09-01-2012 at 07:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

count numbers of matching rows and replace its value in another file

Hello all, can you help me in this problem, assume We have two txt file (file_1 and file_3) one is file_1 contains the data: a 0 b 1 c 3 a 7 b 4 c 5 b 8 d 6 . . . . and I need to count the lines with the matching data (a,b,..) and print in new file called file_2 such as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFalcon10
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count unique rows in a CSV

HI All, I have a CSV file of 30 columns separated by ,. I want to get a count of all unique rows written to a flat file. The CSV file is around 5000 rows The first column is a time stamp and I need to exclude while counting unique Thanks, Ravi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nani369
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of rows starting with 01 in a file

Hi I am very new to unix and please help me in solving the below problem I have a file with 50000+ rows. Each row(line) start with 01 or 02 or 03. Now i have to get the count of rows starting with 01 only, Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check count of rows in excel sheet in Unix

Hi, Would anyone be able to tell me how to check the number of rows in an excel sheet on unix box, please? Cheers, Girish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish1428
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and count number of Duplicate rows

Hi All, I need to extract duplicate rows from a file and write these bad records into another file. And need to have a count of these bad records. i have a command awk ' {s++} END { for(i in s) { if(s>1) { print i } } }' ${TMP_DUPE_RECS}>>${TMP_BAD_DATA_DUPE_RECS}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FASTEN count line of dat file and compare with the CTRL file

Hi All, I thinking on how to accelerate the speed on calculate the dat file against the number of records CTRL file. There are about 300 to 400 folder directories that contains both DAT and CTL files. DAT contain all the flat files records CTL is the reference check file for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count number of rows

Hi, I need a solaris shell script to read multiple files and count number of unique name rows(strings) from those files. The input and output should be like this Input: file 1 abc cde abc ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Getting distinct record count from a .dat file using UNIX command

Hi, I have a .dat file with contents like the below: Input file ============SEQ NO-1: COLUMN1========== 9835619 7152815 ============SEQ NO-2: COLUMN2 ========== 7615348 7015548 9373086 ============SEQ NO-3: COLUMN3=========== 9373086 Expected Output: (I just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS06
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat?

How to use 'ls' command to list files like *.dat, not *.*.dat (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmcginni777
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reseting row count every given number of rows

I have a file with 48 rows. I am counting 6 rows and adding 6 to that number and repeating the operation, and then output the value in column 1. For the second column, I would like to get sort of a binary output (1s and 2s) every 3rd row. This is what I have: awk '{print ++src +... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xterra
1 Replies
strace(1M)																strace(1M)

NAME
strace - write STREAMS event trace messages to standard output SYNOPSIS
mod sub pri DESCRIPTION
gets STREAMS event trace messages from STREAMS drivers and modules via the STREAMS log driver and writes these messages to standard output. By default, without arguments writes all STREAMS trace messages from all drivers and modules. with command-line arguments limits the trace messages received. The arguments, which must be specified in groups of three, are: mod Specifies the STREAMS module identification number from the streamtab entry. sub Specifies a subidentification number (often corresponding to a minor device). pri Specifies a tracing priority level. gets messages of a level equal to or less than the value specified by pri. Only posi- tive integer values are allowed. The value can be used for any argument in the command line to indicate that there are no restrictions for that argument. Multiple sets of the three arguments can be specified to obtain the messages from more than one driver or module. Only one process can open the STREAMS log driver at a time. When is invoked, the log driver compares the sets of command line arguments with actual trace messages, returning only messages that sat- isfy the specified criteria. STREAMS event trace messages have the following format: seq time tick pri ind mod sub text Components are interpreted as follows: seq Trace event sequence number. time Time the message was sent expressed in hh:mm:ss. tick Time the message was sent expressed in machine ticks since the last boot. pri Tracing priority level as defined by the STREAMS driver or module that originates the messages. ind Can be any combination of the following three message indicators: The message has also been saved in the error log. The message signaled a fatal error. The message has also been mailed to the system administrator. mod Module identification number of the trace message source. sub Subidentification number of the trace message source. text Trace message text. runs until terminated by the user. EXAMPLES
Display all trace messages received from the driver or module identified by mod Display trace messages of any tracing priority level from the driver or module identified by mod and its minor devices identified by the sub or Display the trace messages from the same driver or module and subs but limit the priority levels to 0 for subs 2 and 3; 1 for sub 4, driver or module WARNINGS
Running with several sets of arguments can impair STREAMS performance, particularly for those modules and drivers that are sending the mes- sages. Also be aware that may not be able to handle a large number of messages. If drivers and modules return messages to too quickly, some may be lost. FILES
NLS catalog for SEE ALSO
strclean(1M), strerr(1M), strlog(7). strace(1M)