Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HELP on checking for directory or symbolic link Post 302694929 by newbie_01 on Friday 31st of August 2012 05:38:01 PM
Old 08-31-2012
Hi pamu,

Just tried and got the same result.

Code:
/tmp$: cat x.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

for checkdir in dir*
do
   echo "Checking ${checkdir}"

if [[ -d "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
      echo "... ${checkdir} is a directory"
   elif [[ -h "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
      echo "... ${checkdir} is a symbolic link"
   fi
done
/tmp$: ls -ltrd dir*
drwxr-x--x   2 oracle   dba         4096 Aug 31 23:42 dir1
drwxr-x--x   2 oracle   dba         4096 Aug 31 23:42 dir2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle   dba            4 Aug 31 23:43 dir3 -> /tmp
/tmp$: ./x.ksh
Checking dir1
... dir1 is a directory
Checking dir2
... dir2 is a directory
Checking dir3
... dir3 is a directory
/tmp$:

Also tried CarloM's suggestion and same problem.

---------- Post updated at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM
You could just test for a link first.
Hi CarloM,

Tried your suggestion, unfortunately, now it goes like below:

Code:
tmp $: ls -ltrd dir*
drwxr-x--x   2 oracle   dba         4096 Aug 31 23:42 dir1
drwxr-x--x   2 oracle   dba         4096 Aug 31 23:42 dir2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle   dba            4 Aug 31 23:43 dir3 -> /tmp
tmp $: cat y.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

for checkdir in dir*
do

if [[ -h "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
   elif [[ -d "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
   fi
done
tmp $: cat z.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

for checkdir in dir*
do

if [[ -L "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
   elif [[ -d "${checkdir}" ]] ; then
   fi
done
tmp $: ./y.ksh
Checking dir1
... dir1 is a symbolic link
Checking dir2
... dir2 is a symbolic link
Checking dir3
... dir3 is a directory
tmp $: ./z.ksh
Checking dir1
... dir1 is a symbolic link
Checking dir2
... dir2 is a symbolic link
Checking dir3
... dir3 is a directory
tmp $:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to copy a symbolic link

Hi I am trying to find a copy command that will copy a symbolic link itself and not what the link is actually pointing to. I am trying to copy a directory that has some symbolic links within it in IBM AIX unix this is achieved using cp -prh <source dir> <target> the 'h' flag is a hard copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any risk in chging /etc/conf/pack.d directory symbolic link?

We are migrating off an unsupported Stratus Continuum Model 418 PA-RISC running FTX 3.3.0. We're trying to hang on as long as possible, but we're down to 2.8% free in /, so need to free up some space until we're ready to migrate our DB. Currently /etc/conf/pack.d is symbolically linked to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgert
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link for an existing directory

Hi , i am trying to make a symbolic link for an existing directory, but i am facng some problems regarding the usage of command. If there is no directory i can make a symbolic link, but for an existing directory i am not able to. can anyone post me the exact usage if we already have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahasra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)