Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat File System Naming Convention Post 302694809 by Duffs22 on Friday 31st of August 2012 12:16:18 PM
Old 08-31-2012
File System Naming Convention

Hi,

I am installing a new RHEL 5 application server containing JBOSS along with other specific 3rd party applications. I know that this usually gets installed in /opt but I was thinking of installing these on a new separtate lv / file system instead.

i.e.
Code:
/<my_new_FS_name>
rather than
/opt

Can anyone explain why I should not use such a naming convention as an alternative to /opt.

R,
D.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Naming convention for Libraries..

Hi All, I need to know standard naming convention for Unix libraries (including all flavours of unix)..As I have gone through some sites and found out The UNIX convention for naming of libraries is lib<name>.so.<major>.<minor>.<revision> so is it statndard . also does it change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkshukla14
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

naming a file to hostname

I am running a script remotely to another client. after it runs it places the file in /tmp. I need the file in /tmp to be renamed to the local hostname. but when i set the variable it names the file to my local hostname. how do i fix that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

#file naming

hi all, Please advise at what circumstance those file will become -rwxr-xr-x 1 psa psa 1969088 Aug 18 2006 #libaa.sl -rwx------ 1 psa psa 2166784 Jul 25 2006 #libcrypto.sl.0.9.7 -rwx------ 1 psa psa 904040 Jul 25 2006 #libxxx.sl -rwx------ 1 psa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Naming convention script

OK, so a quick background: I am a sys admin for a 1:1 deployment in academia with Macbooks, totaling around 6,000. Macbooks get shifted around from building to building and go to and from the repair center if hardware repair is needed. Often, some machines will get moved from one building to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
8 Replies

5. Hardware

Motherboards naming convention

For the selection of motherboards, is there any naming convention in the type numbers? There is usually a brand name and sometimes a version name, but more essential details like form factor, SATA speed and maximum amount of RAM is never given. Is there a reason for that? Is there any background... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files to one file with naming convention

Hi , i have below files in wrk folder. file names are 1102090001.CLT 1102090003.CLT 1102100019.CLT 1102100020.CLT the above files are concatenate to one file but that concatenate file name must be same naming convention. (date +%y%m%d)and 0001 count. example : concatenate file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
9 Replies

7. Fedora

Basic question regarding rpm naming convention.

Hi Guys, Where would i find the list of distribution codes. For example. samba-32bit-3.4.2 -1.1.3.1.x8664.rpm In above rpm file it is indicated that its release is 1.1.3.1 . The rpm is meant to be run for opensuse. Where would i get the linking of release number and distribution. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check file name against convention

I need this script to check if the first 3 letters of the file name are capital. find . -type f -name *001.dpx -exec find {} ! -name ???_???_???_v??.??????.dpx \; >> ./Bad_FileNames.txt Currently it finds the first frame of the sequence and tests that against the naming convention. It works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with naming the file

Hi, I have a folder that contains files abc.txt def.txt ....and so on Inside abc.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE 4|Chelerythrine|abcb11_earlyIdentification_Stronginhib_washed_ligprep|sdf|1|dock Inside def.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the naming convention of the output file

Hi Currently we have nmon running on our Red hat Linux server. The ouput file is now coming with the naming convention as "servername_160321_0010.nmon". The output file naming convention has to be changed as "nmon_servername_daily_2016.03.21_00.00.00" How can we do it ? Any suggestions... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
10 Replies
DH_INSTALLCHANGELOGS(1) 					     Debhelper						   DH_INSTALLCHANGELOGS(1)

NAME
dh_installchangelogs - install changelogs into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installchangelogs [debhelperoptions] [-k] [-Xitem] [upstream] DESCRIPTION
dh_installchangelogs is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing changelogs into package build directories. An upstream changelog file may be specified as an option. If there is an upstream changelog file, it will be installed as usr/share/doc/package/changelog in the package build directory. If the upstream changelog is an html file (determined by file extension), it will be installed as usr/share/doc/package/changelog.html instead. If the html changelog is converted to plain text, that variant can be specified as a second upstream changelog file. When no plain text variant is specified, a short usr/share/doc/package/changelog is generated, pointing readers at the html changelog file. FILES
debian/changelog debian/NEWS debian/package.changelog debian/package.NEWS Automatically installed into usr/share/doc/package/ in the package build directory. Use the package specific name if package needs a different NEWS or changelog file. The changelog file is installed with a name of changelog for native packages, and changelog.Debian for non-native packages. The NEWS file is always installed with a name of NEWS.Debian. OPTIONS
-k, --keep Keep the original name of the upstream changelog. This will be accomplished by installing the upstream changelog as changelog, and making a symlink from that to the original name of the changelog file. This can be useful if the upstream changelog has an unusual name, or if other documentation in the package refers to the changelog file. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude upstream changelog files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. upstream Install this file as the upstream changelog. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLCHANGELOGS(1)