Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: understanding thread in perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting understanding thread in perl Post 302694483 by balajesuri on Thursday 30th of August 2012 08:58:17 PM
Old 08-30-2012
push (@threads, $t1) and push (@threads, $t2) ==> This will create thread objects and push its references into array @threads.

join() will give you the return value from a thread. I see that from each thread you're storing the return value into $num, but not making any use of it.

There're few errors in your program. I'm sure that was a typo-error. Here's another version of your program:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use threads;
my $t1 = threads->new(\&sub1, 1);
my $t2 = threads->new(\&sub2, 2);
push(@threads,$t1);
push(@threads,$t2);

foreach (@threads) {
    my $num = $_->join();
    print "$num\n";
} 

sub sub1 {
        print "-----started thread 1-----\n";
        system("ssh localhost ls -l /home/user1");
        print "*****done with thread 1*****\n";
        return 1;
}
sub sub2 {
        print "-----started thread 2-----\n";
        system("ssh localhost ls -l /home/user2");
        print "*****done with thread 2*****\n";
        return 2;
}

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding perl script error

I solicited this site earlier this week and got a good answer for a perl Script so I made this script from what understood from the answers But now I have a bug and I'm stump. It doesn't parse correctly the Output it stays on the first line My $f2 and reprints in a endless loop I'm sure there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl command understanding

Hi All, Can you please help me interpret the following command. Which I am not able to understand. Also can you please illustrate what it is used for. perl -pi -e 's/\015//g' text_file.dat Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh.su30
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Understanding @allwords

Hi guys, Here is the code: my @allwords = (); my %seen=(); foreach my $curr (@allwords) { $seen{$curr} = 1; } @allwords = keys %seen; my question is: what will @allwords now contain, or how would the entries in the @allwords array be different after this manipulation? Thank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding perl statement

can someone help me how to interpret this line? my ($class, $hashref) = @_; my $portfolio = {}; if ($hashref->{portfolio_id}) { ($portfolio) = GEmySQL->get ("select * from portfolio where portfolio.id=$hashref->{portfolio_id}"); } =============== Question: how do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/)$files_age =~ s/h//The code where this was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding some Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/) $files_age =~ s/h// The code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
2 Replies

7. Programming

Understanding perl code

What is the difference between the two statements below? A: $a->{"$fruit"}->{"$color"}->{size} = $size B: $size = $a->{"$fruit"}->{"$color"}->{size} Please assist. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl code understanding

Hi, I need to understand below perl code, can some one advise me. perl -MDate::Parse -e'BEGIN{$main::now=time;$main::old=(time-60*30)}' -nE'if(/^(\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)/) {$t=str2time $1; $t > $old && $t < $now && print}' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding an example of perl map() function

Hello, I have many folders under which there is always a file with the same name, which contains the data I need to process later. A perl oneliner was borrowed perl -e 'print "gene_id\t", join("\t", map {/(.*)\//; $1} @ARGV),"\n";' *_test.trim/level.csvto make a header so that each column... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding perl script

Hello, A former sys admin placed this script on one of our boxes and it needs to be adjusted, but I'm not familiar with perl. Can someone help break this down for me? I'm particularly interested in the -mtime function. What's the time frame being referenced here. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join - join with a terminated thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **retval); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function waits for the thread specified by thread to terminate. If that thread has already terminated, then pthread_join() returns immediately. The thread specified by thread must be joinable. If retval is not NULL, then pthread_join() copies the exit status of the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread supplied to pthread_exit(3)) into the location pointed to by *retval. If the target thread was canceled, then PTHREAD_CANCELED is placed in *retval. If multiple threads simultaneously try to join with the same thread, the results are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is canceled, then the target thread will remain joinable (i.e., it will not be detached). RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_join() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EDEADLK A deadlock was detected (e.g., two threads tried to join with each other); or thread specifies the calling thread. EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. EINVAL Another thread is already waiting to join with this thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
After a successful call to pthread_join(), the caller is guaranteed that the target thread has terminated. Joining with a thread that has previously been joined results in undefined behavior. Failure to join with a thread that is joinable (i.e., one that is not detached), produces a "zombie thread". Avoid doing this, since each zombie thread consumes some system resources, and when enough zombie threads have accumulated, it will no longer be possible to create new threads (or processes). There is no pthreads analog of waitpid(-1, &status, 0), that is, "join with any terminated thread". If you believe you need this function- ality, you probably need to rethink your application design. All of the threads in a process are peers: any thread can join with any other thread in the process. EXAMPLE
See pthread_create(3). SEE ALSO
pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_detach(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_tryjoin_np(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-11-27 PTHREAD_JOIN(3)