Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird redirection behaviour
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Weird redirection behaviour Post 302694337 by Lem on Thursday 30th of August 2012 11:47:40 AM
Old 08-30-2012
I've been told that also
Code:
$ ls imafile idontexist 2> >(tee err >outanderr) | tee -a outanderr >/dev/null

has created problems to someone, so it isn't safe.

Thinking it were safe confused me.

Of course when there is only one command, as in
Code:
command >file 2>&1

the writes are sequential, so there cannot be problems.

When there are many (sub)processes, created by pipes or command substitution or whatever else, all concurrently writing on the same file, I cannot see a clear way to be sure they won't overlap - using only the shell tools: /var/log/syslog works flawlessly, but there's a daemon in control, Which I think has its own importance. Smilie
Depending on the scheduler, on the number of CPUs and maybe on many other things, some solutions may seem to work here for a while, but don't work there.

Beside some awful workarounds with a very tiny field of application, like something that:
Code:
( ls imafile idontexist 2>&1 >&3 | { sleep 1; tee err >&3; } ) 3>outanderr

I can't think of any real solution. But since I know very little at all about these black boxes we call "computers", I wouldn't be surprised to be totally wrong.

Thanks to anyone reading all this awkward stuff.
--
Bye

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Can some 1 explain why this behaviour

#include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { const int l_test = 999999999; int *l_ptr = (int*) &l_test; cout<<"Constant Addr:"<<&l_test<<" Value:"<<l_test<<endl; cout<<"Pointer Addr:"<<l_ptr<<" Value:"<<*l_ptr<<endl; *l_ptr = 888888888; // Manipulating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpmenow
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird sudo behaviour

Hi gurus. I implemented sudo and have the following in my sudo config file *************** # User alias specification User_Alias VENDOR = user1 # User privilege specification VENDOR ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/, /sbin/, /usr/local/bin/, \ !/bin/su,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geomonap
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird sed behaviour in script

I've written a small script to replace certain words in all the the files in a directory. #!/bin/sh #Get list of files to be edited file_list=`ls -p` for i in $file_list do echo "Processing $i" alteredi=`echo "$i" | sed -e 's/\//d/'` if then if then #actual altering (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peetrus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -R behaviour

i 've noticed the following difference between freebsd cp and gnu cp from the freebsd cp man page: -R ... If the source_file ends in a /, the contents of the directory are copied rather than the directory itself. ... on gnu cp from the man pagewhile on gnu cp manpage: ‘-r'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird script behaviour !

Hello, I am getting an infinite loop from a script in Linux. Here is the last version of the script in question. As you can see I tried to define everything properly: #!/bin/ksh # Script to loop over a series of dates set -ex typeset -i start_date=20090701 typeset -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: "weird" regex behaviour

I have these two files in current dir: oos.txt oos_(copy).txt I execute this find command:find . -regex './oos*.txt'And this outputs only the first file (oos.txt)! :confused: Only if I add another asterisk to the find find . -regex './oos*.*txt' do I also get the second file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: courteous
7 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Weird rm behaviour

I am little bit confused by the behaviour of rm in Ubuntu. It seems that as a regular user I can delete files owned by another user even when the permissions are set to 644. Here is an example: cjohnson@carbon:~/test$ sudo touch testfile cjohnson@carbon:~/test$ ls -al total 8 drwxr-xr-x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
2 Replies

8. Programming

different behaviour in fg and bg

fg = foreground bg = background I have a cobol program that I start with a very simple script. The script is not at fault as it has not changed and the program worked in fg and bg before. I have altered the logging in the program and moved my cursor declare to working storage. The program runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
6 Replies

9. Programming

Sort behaviour

I see strange results when sorting with -n options and I wander if somebody can explain it. Input file and two results: $ cat aa 14 -1 11 -1 0 -1 0 $ sort -u aa -1 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: migurus
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)