Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting newbie needs help batching awk, tabitha Post 302694329 by atjurhs on Thursday 30th of August 2012 11:39:10 AM
Old 08-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_saini20
is your problem solved now or still output file is not as you expected.
have you printed the value of $i with my code.
it's mostly solved, and I say only because I still get one extraneous column and it leaves out one column.

as for printing $i can I just throw in print$i statements wherever I like?

thanxs Tabitha

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

batching files

HI, Suppose I have thousand files in one directory and they can keep increasing ie /home/rooh Then I want to create a batch of 100 files and then compress that batch file and ftp them somewhere else. And morever the files in the batch will be moved to somewhere else. Can you please help... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

batching files together

I'm looking after part of an application which batches up files concatanates them together and then moves the concatanated files to another directory. The problem I have is that the box runs Windows 2003 and UNIX shell emulation is provided by MKS Toolkit, when 10,000 or more files arive in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pookie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk newbie

I would like to parse a file and use each record to create a unique file where the name of the file created is taken from the 3rd field. Example: here are 3 records. 000007 0110 07-0001583 20060802132213 20060801112601 000007 0110 07-0001584 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with AWK or SED (Newbie)

Hello, I have a text file in below format, how do I put a header and assign field names to the file with either AWK or SED STRT~ VA ~23606 ~TM14~8506~1485 (page 1) STRT~ VA ~23662 ~TM17~8362~1783 (page 2) STRT~ VA ~23662 ~TM17~8362~1783 STRT~ VA ~23662 ~TM17~8362~1783 STRT~ VA ~23662... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udaybo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with AWK (newbie)

Hello all I have a file with below data, I need to add a third column as XXXX if the first coloumn (H180620081) last number is "1" and YYYY if the first coloumn last number is "2" Can it be done with AWK, I would appreciate if anyone could help me ou with this. H180620081 31310 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: udaybo
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep causing long delay (batching) whilst piping

Hi all. I have a problem at work which I have managed to break down into a simple test scenario: I have written a monitoring script that outputs every second the status of various processes, but for now, lets just print the date input.sh: while true do date sleep 1 done This... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spudtheimpaler
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help a newbie please with awk if else statements

Hi, Despite reading the Conditional Statements chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot for the life of me get any kind of if ... else statement to work in my awk scripts! My scripts work perfectly (as they are written at least) and do what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for a newbie

Hi there, greetingt to everybody. I have configured syslog-ng to get messages over UDP saving logs into a text file, it works fine. I need to store the content of this file in several files depending from some criteria that I try to explain you with some examples : Suppose the content of my log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie AWK Question

$ awk -f awk1.awk Where awk1.awk reads: BEGIN { printf ("Name = Smith, Richard" > "awk1" \n) printf ("Name = Johnson, Waylan" > "awk1" \n) printf ("Name = Brown, Pat" > "awk1" \n) } If I get rid of "\n", awk1 file gets created but all the names... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ora_umair
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic awk...newbie quetion

Hi, I was trying to change the value of the 4th column (put '1' in the 4th column of each row). My awk command is: awk -F, '{$3=1;}1' OFS= input.txt > ./test_out.txt My input file is: a 1 2 31 b 4 5 61 c 7 8 91 My output file (test_out.txt)is: a 1 2 31 b 4 5 61 c 7 8 91 What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
4 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) characters in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD