Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk new line issue, saying string can't contain new line character Post 302693927 by mady135 on Thursday 30th of August 2012 02:09:09 AM
Old 08-30-2012
Question awk new line issue, saying string can't contain new line character

Hi ,

I am doing some enhancements in an existing shell script. There it used the awk command in a function as below :
Code:
float_expr() {
IFS=" " command eval 'awk "
BEGIN {
result = $*
print result
exit(result == 0)
}"'
}

It calls the function float_expr to evaluate two values , calculated and returned from the program like below :
Code:
if float_expr "$Amount1 != $Amount2" > /dev/null; then
   echo "AMOUNTS ARE NOT EQUAL" >> $LOGGEN/${PGM}.log
   Stat=1
   allstat=1
fi

Amount1 is 9995890.9600 and Amount2 is 9995890.96. In a seperate call Amount1 and Amount2 are passesd as 12851 and 12851.

Now if I run the entire script where the values passed in the funtion via the variable it returns the error :
awk: The string cannot contain a newline character.
The source line is 3.
The error context is
result = eval awk " >>>
<<<
syntax error The source line is 4.
awk: The statement cannot be correctly parsed.
The source line is 4.

However, I ran the same funtion in a stand alone script by passing the two values as hardcoded and it ran fine.

I am not understanding, why this has been happening and need to know a sollution to it.
I need your help on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not working due to missing new line character at last line of file

Hi, My awk program is failing. I figured out using command od -c filename that the last line of the file doesnt end with a new line character. Mine is an automated process because of this data is missing. How do i handle this? I want to append new line character at the end of last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with New Line character

Hi, I am reading data from file and storing it in a multiline variable. Every line is seperated with "\n" character. globalstrval="${globalstrval}""${line}""\n" If the value of globalstrval is like: 1234 ABCD EFGH WXYZ .... If I do, YLvar=`echo $globalstrval | grep "ABC"` then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk to remove last character in a line or string

I am outputting a line like this print $2 "/" $4The last character though is a ":" and I want to remove it. Is there any neat way to remove it? Or am I forced to do something like this: print $2 "/" substr($4, 1, length($4) - 1)Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is shell's next line character '\' the cause of this issue ?

Oracle version: 11.2.0.1 /Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) Hi, impdp is a command line utility in oracle to import data into a DB schema. Typically impdp command along with its parameters is run in a single line like impdp \'/ as sysdba\' DIRECTORY=DATA_PUMP_DIR... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a character(#) with string search at the start of the line

Hello, I have been browsing through the forum, but unable to find a solution for my requirement. I need to go through a file and search for /home/users and insert a # symbol at the start /home/users. Example output is #/home/users. Can you please help me with the awk or sed command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandu123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)