Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String matching using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String matching using awk Post 302693903 by shekhar2010us on Thursday 30th of August 2012 01:41:00 AM
Old 08-30-2012
@guruprasadpr

Awesome answer. I knew 'awk' can solve this problem. To filter 1 file, java took 27 minutes and shell took 12 seconds :-)

I added a filter of length of both the first fields and my final answer is:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$0]=1;next}($1 ~ /^[a-z]+$/ && $2 ~ /^[a-z]+$/ && (!a[$1]) && (!a[$2]) && $3>1990 && length($1) > 2 && length($2) > 2 )' list file

Thanks a lot.

---------- Post updated at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:24 AM ----------

I just ran the awk for a bigger file and it took 154 seconds to get the results.
Thanks to @guruprasadpr..
I am sure Java would have taken hours to do this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching string

Hello, i have a program where i have to get a character from the user and check it against the word i have and then replace the character in a blank at the same position it is in the word. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehaquick
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a string

I have a requirement of shell script where i need to read the File name i.e ls -t | head -1 and Match that Filename with some delimited values which are in a separate File. For Example i am reading the File name i.e (ls -t | head -1) after that i need to read one more sequential file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk BEGIN END and string matching problem

Hi, Contents of BBS-list file: foo foo foo awk ' BEGIN { print "Analysis of \"foo\"" } /foo/ { ++n } END { print "\"foo\" appears", n, "times." }' BBS-list Output: Analysis of "foo" "foo" appears 3 times. awk ' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String matching

I have a string like ab or abc of whatever length. But i want to know whether another string ( for example, abcfghijkl, OR a<space> bcfghijkl ab<space> cfghijkl OR a<space>bcfghijkl OR ab<space> c<space> fghijkl ) starts with ab or abc... space might existing on the longer string... If so, i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching string from input to string of file

Hi, i want to know how to compare string of file with input string im trying following code: file_no=`paste -s -d "||||\n" a.txt | cut -c 1` #it will return collection number from file echo "enter number" read " curr_no" if ; then echo " current number already present" fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_smith
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column string matching in awk

Hello, I want pick up rows from input with conditions: 1) col2 is 2 replicate of col1 joint with "/" 2) col3 is a joint string as replicate of each side of the "/" symbol 3) col2 not equal to col3 input: TG TG/TG TG/TGG C C/C C/CG C C/G CA/CA C C/C CA/CA AG AG/AG... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching dates and remove non-matching

Using the awk below I am able to combine all the matching dates in $1, but I can not seem to remove the non-matching from the file. Thank you :). file 20161109104500.0+0000,x,5631 20161109104500.0+0000,y,2 20161109104500.0+0000,z,2 20161109104500.0+0000,a,4117... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to average field if matching string in another

In the awk below I am trying to get the average of the sum of $7 if the string in $4 matches in the line below it. The --- in the desired out is not needed, it is just to illustrate the calculation. The awk executes and produces the current out. I am not sure why the middle line is skipped and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)