Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Should I learn RHEL???
Operating Systems Linux Should I learn RHEL??? Post 302693807 by ninealiases on Wednesday 29th of August 2012 06:08:45 PM
Old 08-29-2012
Should I learn RHEL???

Greetings.

EDIT after giving this some thought.

For a beginner, would it be advised for a new user to purchase RHEL and learn linux from that OS? I currently have Fedora 17 and am studying to specialize in Unix/Linux administration. I'm trying to justify the cost of RHEL since all other flavors are practically free.

Last edited by ninealiases; 08-30-2012 at 09:31 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Difference between RHEL 3 AND RHEL 4

Anybody, let me know major differences between RHEL 3 & 4 . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi_13
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want to Learn HP-UX!

What's the best free system to learn HP-UX on? The closest system, hardware requirements and installation instructions. I'm a newbie but determined. Any tips would be great. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkguy
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Error throwing while installing vsftpd package in rhel 6. using rhel 6 dvd.

Hi all, Im studying rhcsa as of now, so yum installation and dependencies are messing me to not workit out. i have dual os, win 7 & rhel 6. i have tried this installation of vsftpd package with rhel 6 dvd in VM rhel 6 in win 7 as well as host rhel 6.still the same issue. below error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 6, Spacewalk 2.3 unable to download RHEL 5 repo data

Hello all, I am having a bit of an issue on my Spacewalk installation. Some amplifying information is that it is Spacewalk 2.3 installed on a RHEL 6 machine and I am attempting to install/update a RHEL 5 channel/repository. I am fairly new to Spacewalk so I am still learning but this is what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstone4646
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows->RHEL->RHEL X11 Forwarding?

I know this question might have been asked a lot but couldn't find anything that worked. From a windows machine 'A' I can only SSH into Linux server 'B' from where I can SSH into another Linux server 'C'. I need to be able to run GUI interfaces on server C which run on my Windows machine. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hr.prasan
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Is it possible to install RHEL 7 on top of RHEL 6?

Hi We have RHEL 6.7 on an HP physical server and want to install RHEL 7 (not upgrade) on top of it by means of virtualization. Is it possible to install/configure RHEV/KVM virtualization on base RHEL 6.7 OS instance and then install RHEL 7 as a VM guest on it? If yes, could you please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magnus29
1 Replies
DBIx::Class::Manual::Troubleshooting(3) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   DBIx::Class::Manual::Troubleshooting(3)

NAME
DBIx::Class::Manual::Troubleshooting - Got a problem? Shoot it. "Can't locate storage blabla" You're trying to make a query on a non-connected schema. Make sure you got the current resultset from $schema->resultset('Artist') on a schema object you got back from connect(). Tracing SQL The "DBIC_TRACE" environment variable controls SQL tracing, so to see what is happening try export DBIC_TRACE=1 Alternatively use the "storage->debug" class method:- $schema->storage->debug(1); To send the output somewhere else set debugfh:- $schema->storage->debugfh(IO::File->new('/tmp/trace.out', 'w'); Alternatively you can do this with the environment variable, too:- export DBIC_TRACE="1=/tmp/trace.out" Can't locate method result_source_instance For some reason the table class in question didn't load fully, so the ResultSource object for it hasn't been created. Debug this class in isolation, then try loading the full schema again. Can't get last insert ID under Postgres with serial primary keys Older DBI and DBD::Pg versions do not handle "last_insert_id" correctly, causing code that uses auto-incrementing primary key columns to fail with a message such as: Can't get last insert id at /.../DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 95 In particular the RHEL 4 and FC3 Linux distributions both ship with combinations of DBI and DBD::Pg modules that do not work correctly. DBI version 1.50 and DBD::Pg 1.43 are known to work. Can't locate object method "source_name" via package There's likely a syntax error in the table class referred to elsewhere in this error message. In particular make sure that the package declaration is correct. For example, for a schema " MySchema " you need to specify a fully qualified namespace: " package MySchema::MyTable; ". syntax error at or near "<something>" ... This can happen if you have a relation whose name is a word reserved by your database, e.g. "user": package My::Schema::User; ... __PACKAGE__->table('users'); __PACKAGE__->add_columns(qw/ id name /); __PACKAGE__->set_primary_key('id'); ... 1; package My::Schema::ACL; ... __PACKAGE__->table('acl'); __PACKAGE__->add_columns(qw/ user_id /); __PACKAGE__->belongs_to( 'user' => 'My::Schema::User', 'user_id' ); ... 1; $schema->resultset('ACL')->search( {}, { join => [qw/ user /], '+select' => [ 'user.name' ] } ); The SQL generated would resemble something like: SELECT me.user_id, user.name FROM acl me JOIN users user ON me.user_id = user.id If, as is likely, your database treats "user" as a reserved word, you'd end up with the following errors: 1) syntax error at or near "." - due to "user.name" in the SELECT clause 2) syntax error at or near "user" - due to "user" in the JOIN clause The solution is to enable quoting - see "Setting quoting for the generated SQL" in DBIx::Class::Manual::Cookbook for details. column "foo DESC" does not exist ... This can happen if you are still using the obsolete order hack, and also happen to turn on SQL-quoting. $rs->search( {}, { order_by => [ 'name DESC' ] } ); Since DBIx::Class >= 0.08100 and SQL::Abstract >= 1.50 the above should be written as: $rs->search( {}, { order_by => { -desc => 'name' } } ); For more ways to express order clauses refer to "ORDER BY CLAUSES" in SQL::Abstract Perl Performance Issues on Red Hat Systems There is a problem with slow performance of certain DBIx::Class operations using the system perl on some Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux system (as well as their derivative distributions such as Centos, White Box and Scientific Linux). Distributions affected include Fedora 5 through to Fedora 8 and RHEL5 upto and including RHEL5 Update 2. Fedora 9 (which uses perl 5.10) has never been affected - this is purely a perl 5.8.8 issue. As of September 2008 the following packages are known to be fixed and so free of this performance issue (this means all Fedora and RHEL5 systems with full current updates will not be subject to this problem):- Fedora 8 - perl-5.8.8-41.fc8 RHEL5 - perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1 This issue is due to perl doing an exhaustive search of blessed objects under certain circumstances. The problem shows up as performance degradation exponential to the number of DBIx::Class result objects in memory, so can be unnoticeable with certain data sets, but with huge performance impacts on other datasets. A pair of tests for susceptibility to the issue and performance effects of the bless/overload problem can be found in the DBIx::Class test suite, in the "t/99rh_perl_perf_bug.t" file. Further information on this issue can be found in <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=379791>, <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=460308> and <http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0876.html> Excessive Memory Allocation with TEXT/BLOB/etc. Columns and Large LongReadLen It has been observed, using DBD::ODBC, that creating a DBIx::Class::Row object which includes a column of data type TEXT/BLOB/etc. will allocate LongReadLen bytes. This allocation does not leak, but if LongReadLen is large in size, and many such result objects are created, e.g. as the output of a ResultSet query, the memory footprint of the Perl interpreter can grow very large. The solution is to use the smallest practical value for LongReadLen. perl v5.18.2 2013-12-16 DBIx::Class::Manual::Troubleshooting(3)