Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: USB mount of Free BSD
Operating Systems BSD USB mount of Free BSD Post 302693111 by figaro on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 04:18:26 PM
Old 08-28-2012
Please see this source: Disk Organization
Once mounted, there is no message to say it has done so successfully. You can go to /mnt (ie, "cd /mnt") to see the contents of your flash drive.
To know what comes after the "-t", check this:
Code:
dmesg | grep da

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red hat or free BSD?

This is my first post here, so I thought Id make it good. I am building a webserver that will be up in a month or so, so I am starting now. I was wondering, since I am on the fence here, should I go with Red hat or BSD? I am comfortable with both, I can run apache on either one, but I am wondering... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: advok8
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free Bsd

i am installing FREEBSD and I would like to know which hardware specific network card that works and help with this would be great I am very new to this (UNIX) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free BSD Display Properties?

I'm very new to UNIX and just istalled FreeBSD on my computer. I using the KDE desktop and the resolution is horrible. How do I adjust this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbrouder
3 Replies

4. BSD

X-Windows Free BSD

so, i have a video card SIS s315 AGP and i can't cofigure X Free on free BSD to run X window. Anybody can help me solve this problem?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dmitri-br
2 Replies

5. BSD

Free BSD X window

Can anyone help me ? I have installed Free BSD several times and I can't get the X window to work . I have installed the ports Gnome and others but for some reason when I type start x doesn't work. I downloaded the 3 i386 disks but I get to install the first one wich complete the setup and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyhawkfly
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware for UNIX/Free BSD

Hi! I'm planning to start to set up a Webserver. All software has to be freeware. I'm also planning to use Free BSD/UNIX for this project. Apache as Webserversystem and so on... Therefor I would like to have some info about what kind of hardware I need. I'm planning to buy a computer... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kargooliw
9 Replies

7. BSD

How to create IP table at Free BSD

Now, I had installed free bsd at my office. Unfortunitely, Email server have been using Local PoP3 and SMTP to our ISP with outlook. but my unix firewall sever ( free bsd ) didn't allow these port ( 110 & 25 ). How can i create the IP table to pass at server. If u have any experience about obvious... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashraff Ali
4 Replies

8. BSD

installing free BSD

Hello friends. I am new to Unix although i am very flexible to any programming language. i was a window user. Now, no more. I have decided myself to switch to unix. Here is my problem: I burned the free BSD into my new RW CD's. I inserted the bootable manager first then, it was scanning and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonjour2006
5 Replies

9. BSD

Open (and Free) BSD with Jmicron 20339 USB <-> SATA II chipset

Hello! Some time ago I did something stupid, I bought 4 harddisk cases (sata -> USB) without checking enough if it is supported by my choise of OS. I was thinking of using FreeBSD on my new NAS (a sunblade 100), but after discovering that is didn't work, I started to search for information. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

10. BSD

Free BSD Release 8.0 not recognizing CD/DVD and usb install media

Hi, I am trying to install Free BSD release 8.0 on my Dell XPS Studio laptop along with already existing Windows partition. (150GB for Win Vista, 30GB for win backup and 130 GB for Free BSD). To do trial I first installed it on Sun virtual Box in Windows where it installed without any complaints.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheerajsuthar
2 Replies
VNDCOMPRESS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    VNDCOMPRESS(1)

NAME
vndcompress, vnduncompress -- compress/uncompress file system images to/from cloop2 format SYNOPSIS
vndcompress [-cd] disk/fs-image compressed-image [blocksize] vnduncompress [-cd] compressed-image disk/fs-image DESCRIPTION
The vndcompress program compresses an existing file system image into a cloop2 compatible compressed file system image. An optional block- size can be given. If omitted, the default of 64kB is used. The vnduncompress command decompress a cloop2-compressed file system image back into a regular image. The file system images that can be handled are not limited to any specific file system, i.e. it is possible to handle images e.g. in ISO 9660 or UFS/FFS format. File system images in the cloop2 format are intended to be used with the vnd(4) driver in compressed mode as configured by the -z option of the vnconfig(8) program, and later mounted with the appropriate -t option to mount(8). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -c Always compress, even if the program was started as vnduncompress. -d Always uncompress (decompress), even if the program was started as vndcompress. EXIT STATUS
The vndcompress and vnduncompress utilities exit with one of the following values: 0 The operation was performed successfully. 1 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To compress an existing CD-ROM file system image, run the following commands: # vndcompress netbsd.iso netbsd.izo Note that the resulting compressed image cannot be mounted directly via NetBSD's vnd(4) and mount_cd9660(8) commands any longer. Instead, you will have to use the -z option of vnconfig(8). The following example decompresses an existing CD-ROM file system image that was compressed in the cloop2 format into a regular file that can then be mounted: # vnconfig vnd0 KNOPPIX.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd0d /mnt # vnduncompress /mnt/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /var/tmp/knoppix.iso # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 # # vnconfig vnd1 /var/tmp/knoppix.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd1d /mnt # ls /mnt .rr_moved cdrom floppy lib opt sbin usr bin dev home mnt proc sys var boot etc initrd none root tmp vmlinuz # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd1 As an alternative, if your vnd(4) was compiled with VND_COMPRESSION, you can use vnconfig(8) to access the cloop-compressed image directly, e.g., # vnconfig vnd0 KNOPPIX.iso # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd0d /mnt # vnconfig -z vnd1 /mnt/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vnd1d /mnt2 # ls /mnt2 .rr_moved cdrom floppy lib opt sbin usr bin dev home mnt proc sys var boot etc initrd none root tmp vmlinuz # df /mnt /mnt2 Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/vnd0a 692M 692M 0B 100% /mnt /dev/vnd1a 1.9G 1.9G 0B 100% /mnt2 # umount /mnt2 # vnconfig -u vnd1 # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 Note how the 1.9GB big filesystem on /mnt2 is mounted from the compressed file stored on the 692MB CD mounted on /mnt. To create a com- pressed file system image of an existing directory and mount it, run: # makefs -t ffs include.fs /usr/include # vndcompress include.fs include.fs.cloop2 # vnconfig -z vnd0 include.fs.cloop2 # mount -o ro /dev/vnd0a /mnt # ls /mnt To undo the steps, run: # umount /mnt # vnconfig -u vnd0 # rm /tmp/include.fs.cloop2 # rm /tmp/include.fs SEE ALSO
gzip(1), vnd(4), mount(8), mount_cd9660(8), vnconfig(8) AUTHORS
The vndcompress utility was written by Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>. The vndcompress manual page was written by Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de> and Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>. BSD
December 12, 2005 BSD