Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh Post 302693059 by Avinash Nayak on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 01:57:46 PM
Old 08-28-2012
error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi,
i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any links which will help me learn more about this stuff ?

avinash@ubuntu:~$ csh
LD: Undefined variable.
%

Thanks.

Regards,
Avinash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: "undefined variable" and pipe

Hi, haven't found anything about this through searching, so may be a new topic: when doing this: set -o nounset set -o errexit find . -name "*.lib" | while read library; do echo ${libary} done echo "after while" I expect the script to exit within the while loop (because of nounset and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaidhlig
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

different shell csh bash

I'm always having to work in the cshell, but occasionally want to run a command using bash. is that possible? I know I could write a shell script and call bash at the begining with #!/usr/bin/bash and then my command, is there another way? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

undefined variable error

Hi all, Im using a script which contains read command.. the script works perfectly but when I alias the script it gave "undifined variable" after I enter the read command input (variable)... Does any one know why ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value inconsistency on BASH and CSH

May God never give you the bane of working on Solaris. Now, I am trying to run this simple shell script: #!/bin/sh input="a b c" data="123" while read eachline do data="$data$eachline" done << EOF $(echo "$input") EOF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavanlimo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in setting PATH variable in bash shell

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I tried adding an entry to the path variable like below export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xxx/bin But am getting an error invalid identifier /opt/xxx/bin Can someone tell me the error above and correct me . Thanks and Regards, Padmini (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable error in csh script

Below csh script gives error: Undefined variable:confused: #!/bin/csh $QUERY="netscape"; COUNT_NETSCAPE=${ps | grep -c $QUERY}; echo $COUNT_NETSCAPE; when run gives error adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 64 ] ./unix_6.sh QUERY: Undefined variable. What is the root cause of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Csh script with Undefined variable error

hi there I have this C shell script that was migrated from AIX to Linux, could someone please help me, I checked the syntax numerous times but I can't find out where the error is. The script is meant to find files older than 27 days and delete it #!/usr/bin/csh # ... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing script from csh to bash

Hello Guys I have a script working fine on csh, but I would like to change it to bash, how I should change this command to be able to work as bash script. :wall: if ( $fsw > "0" ) then foreach swath ( `awk 'BEGIN {for (i='$fsw';i<='$lsw';i++) printf ("%s\n", i) }'` ) ## work to be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script undefined array item value question

Hello, I'm new here. I test these expressions's value in my script : (in centOS 6 ) #!/bin/bash array='something' echo "############" echo ${array} echo ${array} echo ${array} echo "############" The output result is : ################# something something #################... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingjing
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Undefined variable error

I am getting the error undefined variable even after following these steps #read name abcd #echo $name na: undefined variable (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishawdeep
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)