Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What difference does * make here ? (ls command question) Post 302692979 by vbe on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 09:29:37 AM
Old 08-28-2012
Quote:
A plain ls -d command will only list just a dot (.) which is understandable because current directory (dot) is just another file and -d option will suppress anything within it from being listed.
And so the difference would have been clear if you did an ls -ld * versus ls -l * Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will userids make a difference in performance?

I have nearly 10 users who login into the HP server (D series, HP UX 10.20) with the same UNIX user name, "liveuser", and they start the UNIX based transactions. If I create separate UNIX user-ids for all the 10, will the system performance improve? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between PMake and GNU Make?

My system is ubuntu, can I use PMake ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between .make and .mak file

Hi All, In our project i could see .make files and some .mak file. The build rules and the related commands been written in make file. All the project directory specific thing been written in .mak file and the project directories and makefiles are present in the subdirectories related to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
0 Replies

4. Solaris

make sure HA server no difference contents

hello there. I would like to know how can I make sure HA server have exactly same contents. for example at timestamp 1 (before start install oracle product ) assume the both server have exactly same contents. at timestamp 2 I install Oracle product at both server, hope... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qyxiell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between configure/make/make install.

Hi, While installation of apache on linux, we perform the below tasks. 1) Untar 2) configure 3) make 4) make install. I wanted to understand the difference and working of configure/make/make install. Can any one help me understanding this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In AIX, what is the difference between installp and make install?

I've used installp to install packages but when is it ideal to use make install? Havent had the opportunity to use this yet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make Utility Question

Hello, I'm a recent convert to UNIX and I'm attempting to understand exactly how the make utility is working under the hood. Now, I understand that each rule has a target, dependencies, and update command, but the thing I'm confused about is exactly how the utility is determining when to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kramer_102
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam.d and make difference between AD User and local user on Linux

Hello, i configured rhel linux 6 with AD directory to authorize windows users to connect on the system and it works. i have accounts with high privileges (oracle for example) if an account is created on the AD server i would to block him. I looked for how to do, for the moment all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenzo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Changes in dhcpd.conf do not make a difference in DHCP service behaviour

Hi Experts, Our DHCP server currently answers the DHCP Discover requests from ServerX. In our dhcpd.conf file there are parameters defined for ServerX. Now we introduced some additional Servers into the network and want them to get service from the same DHCP server. Similar configuration... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekorgur
13 Replies
rmdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  rmdir(1)

NAME
rmdir - Removes a directory SYNOPSIS
rmdir [-p] [-s] directory... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: rmdir: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Removes all directories in a path name. For each directory argument, the directory entry it names is removed. If the directory argument includes more than one path name component, effects equivalent to the following command occur: rmdir -p $(dirname directory) That is, rmdir recursively removes each directory in the path name. OPERANDS
The path name of an empty directory to be removed. DESCRIPTION
The rmdir command removes a directory from the system. The directory must be empty before you can remove it, and you must have write per- mission in its parent directory. Use the ls -al command to see if a directory is empty. If a directory and a subdirectory of that directory are specified in a single invocation of rmdir, the subdirectory must be specified before the parent directory so that the parent directory will be empty when rmdir tries to remove it. RESTRICTIONS
A directory must be empty before you can remove it, and you must have write permission in its parent directory. If the -p option is used, all directories in the path must be empty except for the directory being recursively removed. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Each directory specified by directory operand was successfully removed. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To empty and remove a directory, enter: rm mydir/* mydir/.* rmdir mydir This removes the contents of mydir, then removes the empty directory. The rm command displays an error message about trying to remove the directories . (dot) and .. (dot dot), and then rmdir removes them. Note that rm mydir/* mydir/.* first removes files with names that do not begin with a (dot), then those with names that do begin with a (dot). You may not realize that the directory contains file names that begin with a (dot) because the ls command does not normally list them unless you use the -a option to see the files whose names begin with a (dot). To remove all of the directories in the path name a/b/c, enter: rmdir -p a/b/c Use a command like this one if directory a in the current directory is empty except that it contains a directory b and a/b is empty except that it contains a directory c. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of rmdir: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: mkdir(1), ls(1), rm(1) Functions: rmdir(2), unlink(2), remove(3) Standards: standards(5) rmdir(1)