Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What difference does * make here ? (ls command question) Post 302692979 by vbe on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 09:29:37 AM
Old 08-28-2012
Quote:
A plain ls -d command will only list just a dot (.) which is understandable because current directory (dot) is just another file and -d option will suppress anything within it from being listed.
And so the difference would have been clear if you did an ls -ld * versus ls -l * Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will userids make a difference in performance?

I have nearly 10 users who login into the HP server (D series, HP UX 10.20) with the same UNIX user name, "liveuser", and they start the UNIX based transactions. If I create separate UNIX user-ids for all the 10, will the system performance improve? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between PMake and GNU Make?

My system is ubuntu, can I use PMake ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between .make and .mak file

Hi All, In our project i could see .make files and some .mak file. The build rules and the related commands been written in make file. All the project directory specific thing been written in .mak file and the project directories and makefiles are present in the subdirectories related to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
0 Replies

4. Solaris

make sure HA server no difference contents

hello there. I would like to know how can I make sure HA server have exactly same contents. for example at timestamp 1 (before start install oracle product ) assume the both server have exactly same contents. at timestamp 2 I install Oracle product at both server, hope... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qyxiell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between configure/make/make install.

Hi, While installation of apache on linux, we perform the below tasks. 1) Untar 2) configure 3) make 4) make install. I wanted to understand the difference and working of configure/make/make install. Can any one help me understanding this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In AIX, what is the difference between installp and make install?

I've used installp to install packages but when is it ideal to use make install? Havent had the opportunity to use this yet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make Utility Question

Hello, I'm a recent convert to UNIX and I'm attempting to understand exactly how the make utility is working under the hood. Now, I understand that each rule has a target, dependencies, and update command, but the thing I'm confused about is exactly how the utility is determining when to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kramer_102
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam.d and make difference between AD User and local user on Linux

Hello, i configured rhel linux 6 with AD directory to authorize windows users to connect on the system and it works. i have accounts with high privileges (oracle for example) if an account is created on the AD server i would to block him. I looked for how to do, for the moment all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenzo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Changes in dhcpd.conf do not make a difference in DHCP service behaviour

Hi Experts, Our DHCP server currently answers the DHCP Discover requests from ServerX. In our dhcpd.conf file there are parameters defined for ServerX. Now we introduced some additional Servers into the network and want them to get service from the same DHCP server. Similar configuration... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekorgur
13 Replies
nisls(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          nisls(1)

NAME
nisls - list the contents of a NIS+ directory SYNOPSIS
nisls [-dglLmMR] [name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name that is a NIS+ directory, nisls lists the contents of the directory. For each name that is a NIS+ object other than a direc- tory, nisls simply echos the name. If no name is specified, the first directory in the search path is listed. See nisdefaults(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Treat NIS+ directories like other NIS+ objects, rather than listing their contents. -g Display group owner instead of owner when listing in long format. -l List in long format. This option displays additional information about the objects such as their type, creation time, owner, and access rights. The access rights are listed in the following order in long mode: nobody, owner, group owner, and world. -L This option specifies that links are to be followed. If name actually points to a link, it is followed to the linked object. -m Display modification time instead of creation time when listing in long format. -M Master only. This specifies that information is to be returned from the master server of the named object. This guarantees that the most up to date information is seen at the possible expense that the master server may be busy. -R List directories recursively. This option will reiterate the list for each subdirectory found in the process of listing each name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the object is found. See nisdefaults(1). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nisdefaults(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismatch(1), nistbladm(1), nis_objects(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 nisls(1)