Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAM always used 100 %
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RAM always used 100 % Post 302692395 by mark54g on Monday 27th of August 2012 02:36:33 PM
Old 08-27-2012
Oracle databases do tremendous amounts of reads. Linux, in general, caches reads into memory. Unused memory is wasted. The disconnect here is one that people believe a system is supposed to behave a certain way and that may not always be the best case.

Forget how much memory is being used and ask whether performance is impacted. File system caching is dropped when an application uses the memory, but also, realize that keeping things in memory translates into faster lookups.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

getting available physical RAM

What command should I be using on Solaris 9 to get an accurate representation of the available physical RAM? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Command for RAM

folks, hows everyone? just upgraded my laptop running on solaris 10 by adding some extra RAM. I did notice some improvement (increase in speed) but could not be certain the new RAM has been accepted and all is well (was concerned a bit as i almost broke it while installing :-)) and didnt get any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know RAM size

Hi can anyone please help me, how to know RAM specification in unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Linux

RAM is not being utilized

Hi All, I installed CentOs on my PC (it has 1 GB of RAM). I see that only 200MB of RAM is being utilized on average but its very slow. Please let me know how do I improve the performance. Is there a way to set the RAM utilization/usage on CentOS. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayfriend
2 Replies

6. Linux

Ram Usage

Hi one of our applications that runs on our Linux server leaks memory resulting in Ram that was used by the program not being released back to the operating system once a file has been processed. the result is over a very short period virtual all the memory has been used. an example currently ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

7. Solaris

expanding RAM

our sparc server has only 1Gb RAM. Since RAM is not very expensive anymore, it seems like a good idea to upgrade it. will it make server (and database on it) faster? I hope it would less 'abuse' hard drive.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Regarding RAM replacement

Dear All, I have linux Servers where all are having at present 12 Gig RAM. At present my need is to increase the RAM for atleast another 12 G . ie 12G +12 G ===24 Gig RAM. But how does i can find out whether my server will support for 24 GiG RAM or is there any way of finding out how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Solaris

RAM check

is there a way to thoroughly test RAM in Solaris10 (SPARC)? or is boot test good enough? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to update the RAM

hi, i m working on my ubuntu 12.10 i wanted to update my desktop's RAM. so kindly let me know how i get below details (thru commands in terminal) 1) what is the processor am using currently 2) what is the RAM am using currently 3) max how much i can upgrade my RAM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandpasunoori
4 Replies
SYNC(8) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   SYNC(8)

NAME
sync - synchronize data on disk with memory SYNOPSIS
sync [--help] [--version] DESCRIPTION
sync writes any data buffered in memory out to disk. This can include (but is not limited to) modified superblocks, modified inodes, and delayed reads and writes. This must be implemented by the kernel; The sync program does nothing but exercise the sync(2) system call. The kernel keeps data in memory to avoid doing (relatively slow) disk reads and writes. This improves performance, but if the computer crashes, data may be lost or the file system corrupted as a result. sync ensures that everything in memory is written to disk. sync should be called before the processor is halted in an unusual manner (e.g., before causing a kernel panic when debugging new kernel code). In general, the processor should be halted using the shutdown(8) or reboot(8) or halt(8) commands, which will attempt to put the system in a quiescent state before calling sync(2). (Various implementations of these commands exist; consult your documentation; on some systems one should not call reboot(8) and halt(8) directly.) OPTIONS
--help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. --version Print version information on standard output, then exit successfully. -- Terminate option list. ENVIRONMENT
The variables LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, and LC_MESSAGES have the usual meaning. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.2. NOTES
On Linux, sync is only guaranteed to schedule the dirty blocks for writing; it can actually take a short time before all the blocks are finally written. The reboot(8) and halt(8) commands take this into account by sleeping for a few seconds after calling sync(2). This page describes sync as found in the fileutils-4.0 package; other versions may differ slightly. SEE ALSO
sync(2), halt(8), reboot(8), update(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1998-11-01 SYNC(8)