Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $PATH error (possibly)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $PATH error (possibly) Post 302692075 by SartreSmartre on Monday 27th of August 2012 04:02:30 AM
Old 08-27-2012
I was editing two files in emacs, in my home folder. My computer slowed to a crawl for no obvious reason. I ran Disk Utility from my Snow Leopard install drive. I selected the Verify Disk Permissions, and Verify Disk options. There were a ton of errors, which the Disk Utility repaired. Now, when I begin a Terminal session there's the above error message and commands like man, grep, and emacs yield only "command not found."

Thanks for responding by the way.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stupid question possibly

how would I search through subdirectories under the current directory and delete all files in certain directories. in ThisDirectory.... want to go into foundMe directory which there are several in other subdirectories and delete all files in foundMe ? thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrJaunty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input variable like POST in PHP possibly?

I have a very large database and once in awhile the database auto loading scripts that update the database for the daily updates fails and I have to go in and manually fix it but when that happens I usually have to start from scratch on sundays I have access to a weekly database rebuild. Then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chadrt
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Why in.mpathd errors - performance possibly?

Hello all, Run a search but see no previous queries. Trying to get to the bottom of why a server running Solaris 9 reports the following every other day: lonpcbcfp1:Jun 20 16:33:20 lonpcbcfp1 in.mpathd: missed sending 17 probes cur_time 1478014085 snxt_time 1478015026 snxt_basetime 1478014018... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bookiebarton
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reformatting xml file, sed or awk I think (possibly perl)

I have some xml files that cannot be read using a standard parser, or I am using the wrong parser. The issues seems to be spaces in some of the tags. Here is a sample,<UgUn 2 > <Un> -0.426753 </Un> </UgUn>The parser isn't able to find the number 2, so that information is lost, etc. It seems... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining find, grep and possibly ls?!

Hi - can someone please help me combine find, grep and possibly ls into something workable: i.e. How can I list all the files that contain the word "pet" in all directories under the current directory that are called "animal", bar those anywhere under directories called "archive"? I suspect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Two Files, Possibly with VIM

Hello, I have a problem comparing two files, both .csv. One file, let's call it files.csv, contains a list of thousands of file names for models of molecules that have made it through an optimization process. The other file, formulas.csv, contains file names for the same kind of models, and has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Cdrom device possibly missing?

Hello, I am following the HPUX 11.31 install/update guide and I am trying to install "Update-UX" from the installation media. I put the CD into the drive, and I am trying to mount the device. The instructions state:Find the DVD-ROM device file name: ioscan -C disk -f -n -k | more A typical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DHCP Issue Possibly due to Hardware Clock?

Hello All, OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) PC: CuBox-i (*mini-pc) The PC in question is a CuBox-i mini-pc. Since this PC doesn't have a battery, everytime the PC reboots the hardware clock is reset back to the same date every time, which is "2014-07-08 00:00". I have NTP configured... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies
DMC(1)																	    DMC(1)

NAME
dmc - controls the Disk Mount Conditioner SYNOPSIS
dmc start mount [profile-name|profile-index [-boot]] dmc stop mount dmc status mount [-json] dmc show profile-name|profile-index dmc list dmc select mount profile-name|profile-index dmc configure mount type access-time read-throughput write-throughput [ioqueue-depth maxreadcnt maxwritecnt segreadcnt segwritecnt] dmc help | -h DESCRIPTION
dmc(1) configures the Disk Mount Conditioner. The Disk Mount Conditioner is a kernel provided service that can degrade the disk I/O being issued to specific mount points, providing the illusion that the I/O is executing on a slower device. It can also cause the conditioned mount point to advertise itself as a different device type, e.g. the disk type of an SSD could be set to an HDD. This behavior consequently changes various parameters such as read-ahead settings, disk I/O throttling, etc., which normally have different behavior depending on the underlying device type. COMMANDS
Common command parameters: o mount - the mount point to be used in the command o profile-name - the name of a profile as shown in dmc list o profile-index - the index of a profile as shown in dmc list dmc start mount [profile-name|profile-index [-boot]] Start the Disk Mount Conditioner on the given mount point with the current settings (from dmc status) or the given profile, if pro- vided. Optionally configure the profile to remain enabled across reboots, if -boot is supplied. dmc stop mount Disable the Disk Mount Conditioner on the given mount point. Also disables any settings that persist across reboot via the -boot flag provided to dmc start, if any. dmc status mount [-json] Display the current settings (including on/off state), optionally as JSON dmc show profile-name|profile-index Display the settings of the given profile dmc list Display all profile names and indices dmc select mount profile-name|profile-index Choose a different profile for the given mount point without enabling or disabling the Disk Mount Conditioner dmc configure mount type access-time read-throughput write-throughput [ioqueue-depth maxreadcnt maxwritecnt segreadcnt segwritecnt] Select custom parameters for the given mount point rather than using the settings provided by a default profile. See dmc list for example parameter settings for various disk presets. o type - 'SSD' or 'HDD'. The type determines how various system behaviors like disk I/O throttling and read-ahead algorithms affect the issued I/O. Additionally, choosing 'HDD' will attempt to simulate seek times, including drive spin-up from idle. o access-time - latency in microseconds for a single I/O. For SSD types this latency is applied exactly as specified to all I/O. For HDD types, the latency scales based on a simulated seek time (thus making the access-time the maximum latency or seek penalty). o read-throughput - integer specifying megabytes-per-second maximum throughput for disk reads o write-throughput - integer specifying megabytes-per-second maxmimu throughput for disk writes o ioqueue-depth - maximum number of commands that a device can accept o maxreadcnt - maximum byte count per read o maxwritecnt - maximum byte count per write o segreadcnt - maximum physically disjoint segments processed per read o segwritecnt - maximum physically disjoint segments processed per write dmc help | -h Display help text EXAMPLES
dmc start / '5400 HDD' Turn on the Disk Mount Conditioner for the boot volume, acting like a 5400 RPM hard drive. dmc configure /Volumes/ExtDisk SSD 100 100 50 Configure an external disk to use custom parameters to degrade performance as if it were a slow SSD with 100 microsecond latencies, 100MB/s read throughput, and 50MB/s write throughput. IMPORTANT
The Disk Mount Conditioner is not a 'simulator'. It can only degrade (or 'condition') the I/O such that a faster disk device behaves like a slower device, not vice-versa. For example, a 5400 RPM hard drive cannot be conditioned to act like a SSD that is capable of a higher throughput than the theoretical limitations of the hard disk. In addition to running dmc stop, rebooting is also a sufficient way to clear any existing settings and disable Disk Mount Conditioner on all mount points (unless started with -boot). SEE ALSO
nlc(1) January 2018 DMC(1)