Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $PATH error (possibly)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $PATH error (possibly) Post 302692075 by SartreSmartre on Monday 27th of August 2012 04:02:30 AM
Old 08-27-2012
I was editing two files in emacs, in my home folder. My computer slowed to a crawl for no obvious reason. I ran Disk Utility from my Snow Leopard install drive. I selected the Verify Disk Permissions, and Verify Disk options. There were a ton of errors, which the Disk Utility repaired. Now, when I begin a Terminal session there's the above error message and commands like man, grep, and emacs yield only "command not found."

Thanks for responding by the way.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stupid question possibly

how would I search through subdirectories under the current directory and delete all files in certain directories. in ThisDirectory.... want to go into foundMe directory which there are several in other subdirectories and delete all files in foundMe ? thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrJaunty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input variable like POST in PHP possibly?

I have a very large database and once in awhile the database auto loading scripts that update the database for the daily updates fails and I have to go in and manually fix it but when that happens I usually have to start from scratch on sundays I have access to a weekly database rebuild. Then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chadrt
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Why in.mpathd errors - performance possibly?

Hello all, Run a search but see no previous queries. Trying to get to the bottom of why a server running Solaris 9 reports the following every other day: lonpcbcfp1:Jun 20 16:33:20 lonpcbcfp1 in.mpathd: missed sending 17 probes cur_time 1478014085 snxt_time 1478015026 snxt_basetime 1478014018... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bookiebarton
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reformatting xml file, sed or awk I think (possibly perl)

I have some xml files that cannot be read using a standard parser, or I am using the wrong parser. The issues seems to be spaces in some of the tags. Here is a sample,<UgUn 2 > <Un> -0.426753 </Un> </UgUn>The parser isn't able to find the number 2, so that information is lost, etc. It seems... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining find, grep and possibly ls?!

Hi - can someone please help me combine find, grep and possibly ls into something workable: i.e. How can I list all the files that contain the word "pet" in all directories under the current directory that are called "animal", bar those anywhere under directories called "archive"? I suspect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Two Files, Possibly with VIM

Hello, I have a problem comparing two files, both .csv. One file, let's call it files.csv, contains a list of thousands of file names for models of molecules that have made it through an optimization process. The other file, formulas.csv, contains file names for the same kind of models, and has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Cdrom device possibly missing?

Hello, I am following the HPUX 11.31 install/update guide and I am trying to install "Update-UX" from the installation media. I put the CD into the drive, and I am trying to mount the device. The instructions state:Find the DVD-ROM device file name: ioscan -C disk -f -n -k | more A typical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DHCP Issue Possibly due to Hardware Clock?

Hello All, OS: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (armv7hl) PC: CuBox-i (*mini-pc) The PC in question is a CuBox-i mini-pc. Since this PC doesn't have a battery, everytime the PC reboots the hardware clock is reset back to the same date every time, which is "2014-07-08 00:00". I have NTP configured... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies
FSCK_EXFAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     FSCK_EXFAT(8)

NAME
fsck_exfat -- Verify and repair ExFAT file systems. SYNOPSIS
fsck_exfat -q device ... fsck_exfat [-f] [-p] [-y | -n] [-g | -x] [-d] device ... DESCRIPTION
The fsck_exfat utility verifies and repairs ExFAT file systems. The first form of fsck_exfat quickly checks the specified file systems to determine whether they were cleanly unmounted. The second form of fsck_exfat checks the specified file systems and tries to repair all detected problems, requesting confirmation before making any changes. The default behavior is to always ask for confirmation of each change. Use the -n or -y options to override this default behavior. The device parameter(s) should be a path to a "raw" disk device (a character special device), such as /dev/rdisk1s1. If you specify a "non- raw" path (a block special device) such as /dev/disk1s1, or just the disk name such as disk1s1, they will automatically be converted to the corresponding raw disk device (/dev/rdisk1s1). The options are as follows: -q Causes fsck_exfat to quickly check whether the volume was unmounted cleanly. If the volume was unmounted cleanly, then the exit status is 0. If the volume was not unmounted cleanly, then the exit status will be non-zero. In either case, a message is printed to standard output describing whether the volume was clean or dirty. -f This option is ignored by fsck_exfat and is present only for compatibility with programs that check other file system types for consistency. -p Preen the specified file systems. This option is ignored by fsck_exfat and is present only for compatibility with programs that check other file system types for consistency. -y Causes fsck_exfat to assume yes as the answer to all questions. It will attempt to repair all problems that are found. -n Causes fsck_exfat to assume no as the answer to all questions. The device will be opened read-only, and no repairs will be made. -g Causes fsck_exfat to produce its output in GUI-compatible form. Each message is printed as a tuple containing the kind of mes- sage, the message string, and number of parameters to the message string. Any parameters to the message string are printed on subsequent lines. The message string uses NSLog-like substitutions. This output format is used by applications such as Disk Utility. -x Causes fsck_exfat to produce its output in an XML-like form. Each message is printed as a plist(5) containing a message type, verbosity, message number, and message string. The message string uses NSLog-like substitutions. For message strings that contain parameters, an array of dictionaries is output. This output format is used by applications such as Disk Utility. It may be used by other kinds of applications which wish to parse the output of fsck_exfat. -d Causes fsck_exfat to produce extra debugging output. This generally contains additional details about problems found. When writing bug reports for fsck_exfat, it is usually helpful to include the output generated from this option. SEE ALSO
mount_exfat(8), fsck(8) HISTORY
The fsck_exfat utility first appeared in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Darwin January 19, 2010 Darwin