Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O bound computing clusters
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing I/O bound computing clusters Post 302691811 by figaro on Saturday 25th of August 2012 07:39:30 PM
Old 08-25-2012
I/O bound computing clusters

I want to build a computing cluster and have been looking into grid solutions. My understanding from grid solutions is that participating nodes have to actually sign up to participate in a computation and that an isolated piece of work is sent to the node through a request from that node (pull). Along that reasoning, would a solution whereby a controlling machine sends work to whichever node is available not be a grid solution (push)?

The problem we will be solving is data-intensive, so we will be looking at an I/O bound problem. What methodology is used whereby the data sits on one machine and the nodes use that data? Could a partitioning of the database work, whereby a node only works on the data in the partition and no other?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

question about clusters

hello all...first off let me say hi and im really glad to be apart of this community....tried to join awhile back but i couldnt for some reason im a highschool student and im eager to learn and what im trying to learn now is clusters i have 3 computers in my room all connected on a simple hub ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hexadecimal0011
1 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

List zones bound to a pool

How to get the list of zones which are bound to a pool say appPool. Rather then logging in each zone and then check from pool stat command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

4. Programming

env not bound: BEDEWORK

I was trying to test dump data on bedework jxi console however I got the error below.I'm using debian as my OS and installed quickstart bedework on it. Pls advise what am I missing. thanks Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: env not bound at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. Solaris

VCS Clusters

:)Hi, can someone please explain VCS clustering and where do we need VCS clusters ..? :o:)Thanks in advance :o:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitbisht9
1 Replies

6. Linux

Memory bound error...

Hi all, Am getting the below error for a job that is run in our system. error code: 114, pc=0, call=1, seg=0 114 Attempt to access item beyond bounds of memory (Signal 11) This job uses a cobol program and as far as I know, the problem is related to this cobol program. What does this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: das.somik
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Bound, Unbound, Idle, Listening,

Hi Guys, I am studying netstat and I am getting confused a lot. I will be glad if someone will be kind enough to explain to me : 1) bound port 2) unbound port 3) idle 4 listening I will very much appreciate it. Thanks guys We have a special forum with special rules for homework (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to fix the CPU bound issues on AIX?

Hi All, Can you please answer my question. i see lot of CPU utilization on AIX LPARs. i am able to find the cause of the probelm. But i do not know how to mitigate or fix the problem. for instance, i found the process which is consuming most of CPU. i informed the responsible team. how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: get upper and lower bound per group

Hi all, I've data as: 22 51018157 51018157 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018204 51018204 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018428 51018428 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018814 51018814 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
4 Replies
GRDSAMPLE(l)															      GRDSAMPLE(l)

NAME
grdsample - Resample a grd file onto a new grid SYNOPSIS
grdsample in_grdfile -Gout_grdfile [ -F ] [ -Idx[m|c][/dy[m|c]] ] [ -Lflag ] [ -Nnx/ny ] [ -Q ] [ -Rwest/east/south/north[r] ] [ -T ] [ -V ] DESCRIPTION
grdsample reads a grdfile and interpolates it to create a new grdfile with either: a different registration (-T); or, a new grid-spacing (-I) or number of nodes (-N), and perhaps also a new sub-region (-R). Interpolation is bicubic [Default] or bilinear (-Q) and uses boundary conditions (-L). Note that using (-R) only is equivalent to grdcut or grdedit -S. grdsample safely creates a fine mesh from a coarse one; the converse may suffer aliasing unless the data are filtered using grdfft or grdfilter. in_grdfile The name of the input 2-D binary grd file. -G The name of the output grd file. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. -F Force pixel registration. [Default is grid registration]. -I x_inc [and optionally y_inc] is the grid spacing. Append m to indicate minutes or c to indicate seconds. -L Boundary condition flag may be x or y or xy indicating data is periodic in range of x or y or both set by -R, or flag may be g indi- cating geographical conditions (x and y are lon and lat). [Default uses "natural" conditions (second partial derivative normal to edge is zero).] -N Specify number of columns nx and rows ny of new grid. -Q Quick mode, use bilinear rather than bicubic interpolation. -R west, east, south, and north specify the Region of interest. To specify boundaries in degrees and minutes [and seconds], use the dd:mm[:ss] format. Append r if lower left and upper right map coordinates are given instead of wesn. -T Translate between grid and pixel registration while keeping -R and -I the same; if input is grid-registered, output will be pixel- registered and vice-versa. The input file determines -R, -I and -N so no other options are necessary (except possibly -L or -Q). -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. HINTS
If an interpolation point is not on a node of the input grid, then a NaN at any node in the neighborhood surrounding the point will yield an interpolated NaN. Bicubic interpolation [default] yields continuous first derivatives but requires a neighborhood of 4 nodes by 4 nodes. Bilinear interpolation [-Q] uses only a 2 by 2 neighborhood, but yields only zeroth-order continuity. Use bicubic when smoothness is impor- tant. Use bilinear to minimize the propagation of NaNs. EXAMPLES
To resample the 5 x 5 minute grid in hawaii_5by5_topo.grd onto a 1 minute grid, try grdsample hawaii_5by5_topo.grd -I1m -Ghawaii_1by1_topo.grd To translate the gridline-registered file surface.grd to pixel registration, try grdsample surface.grd -T -Gpixel.grd SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt), grdedit(1gmt), grdfft(1gmt), grdfilter(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 GRDSAMPLE(l)