Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Not visible hidden folder
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not visible hidden folder Post 302691767 by methyl on Saturday 25th of August 2012 04:31:31 PM
Old 08-25-2012
@Corona688
See -A posted above (just one variation). Highly depends on what O/S you have and whether you are root or not.

Try commands as non-root and as root.

There is a reason why dot files are known as hidden files.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy hidden files from one folder to another

dear all, i want to copy all files in my home dir to another. from my home dir i have given ls -la then some hidden files are there with dot . .. and i also want to copy all dirs in my home as it is . because iam upgrading the system how to copy all files and dirs in my home dir... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why are the xml tags not visible?

Could some one please tell me why, when I run the following php code: <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <?php $readfile = file("rss_file.xml"); for ($k=0; $k<=count($readfile)-1; $k++) { echo "$readfile<br>"; } </BODY> </HTML> the tags do not appear in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: photon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

4. Web Development

images are not visible

hi, why my uploaded images are not visible both in front-end and back-end of my CMS ? See the picture: http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/72686/noPics.png I checked the GD library in php. It seems ok... http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/72686/GD.png thanks ---------- Post updated at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
0 Replies

5. Solaris

folder not visible in ls -l

Hi, I have a strange problem. when i do ls i see a folder, say 'abc', but it disappears when i do ls -l. I cannot access or mv that folder. Solaris 10 (SPARC) doesn't allow me to create a new folder with the same name, as it already exists. 'file' command also doesn't recognize i 'abc'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Groups is not visible

OS : SunOS 5.8 I am trying to add a user ad3059 to the following groups, A B C D ( four groups A,B,C,D) When i use usermod command and add the user to the above groups, and go to > groups ad3059 other C D It doesnt show A and B groups and shows it as other.Please advice on how... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi2089
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
chroot(2)							System Calls Manual							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot - Changes the effective root directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chroot ( const char *path ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: chroot(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the new effective root directory. If the path parameter refers to a symbolic link, the chroot() function sets the effective root directory to the directory pointed to by the symbolic link. DESCRIPTION
The chroot() function causes the directory named by the path parameter to become the effective root directory. The effective root directory is the starting point when searching for a file's pathname that begins with a / (slash). The current working directory is not affected by the chroot() function. The calling process must have superuser privilege in order to change the effective root directory. The calling process must also have search access to the new effective root directory. The .. (dot-dot) entry in the effective root directory is interpreted to mean the effective root directory itself. Thus, .. (dot-dot) can- not be used to access files outside the subtree rooted at the effective root directory. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 (zero) is returned. If the chroot() function fails, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the chroot() function fails, the effective root directory remains unchanged and errno may be set to one of the following values: Search permission is denied for any component of the pathname. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. More than MAXSYMLINKS symbolic links are encountered while resolving path. The length of the path argument exceeds PATH_MAX or a pathname component is longer than NAME_MAX. The path parameter does not exist or points to an empty string. A component of path is not a directory. The process does not have appropriate privilege. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: chdir(2) Commands: cd(1) Standards: standards(5) delim off chroot(2)